The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy Farming

jools

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
A friend told me to take a look at this website www.puppywatch.org.uk. How can we get the average puppy buyer to become more aware of how these poor dogs live - and die in many cases. What the hell are the government and the RSPCA doing - they know all about them - but continue to turn a blind eye. They all make me sick.

Absolutely horrific.

My dislike of people just keeps getting stronger.

The biggest problem is that people still keep buying from these places.

Human beings are supposed to be the most intelligent species....but to me simply the most evil and cruel.

I had the misfortune to visit a "breeder" with similar standards when looking for a boxer pup.....this man had a big shed in his garden with the windows blacked out....inside were tiny pens with two or three adult dogs in them,some with pups.

The sire was in a pen on his own....it was very dark in there....he pulled the sire into the light ...and the poor dog had a deformed jaw.

All the puppies had their tails incorrectly docked and the skin had shrunk back leaving between quarter of an inch to a whole inch of bone poking out of their tails.The mums were all dreadfully thin with all their rib and spine bones showing.

I reported him to the RSPCA and they admitted they'd had several complaints,said they'd come take a statement etc but never did,despite me contacting them a further three times.

The thing that surprised me most was we got his details from the Kennel Club and when i phoned them and said what i had seen they just said we don't register breeders just puppies. Disgusting.

Last edited by a moderator:
It realy is terrible the way these poor little things suffer! The picture of the pups in the Asian market place made me shudder, I dread to think what will happen to them.

My own little dog Lucy came from a farm in Lancashire 12 years ago. The ad in the local paper said home bred. So I phoned and enquired and was told " Yes the parents are family pets". He also said he had sold the ones in the ad but had some more two weeks old if I would like to come and view. The kids and I were desperate for a dog at the time so off I went to look. This was quite a journey for me because I had just passed my driving test and it was about 30 miles away but I wanted to suprise my husband and children with a new pup. Well when I eventualy arrived I found a farm and my heart sank as I could here all the barking coming from the sheds. I was taken to the puppy shed where all the little cairn babies were kept and I must admit they were kept in very clean conditions. Then he placed Lucy in my hand. Only 2 weeks old and eyes still shut and my heart melted. I thought well she is here now and if I dont buy her somebody else will and at least she will have a good home with me. I asked to see the parents and I was shown around the farm. He had about 30 Cairn Terriers there but all were kept in clean kennels and seemed happy little dogs. He assured me the dogs were walked over the fields every day so I could only take is word for it. I collected little Lucy 6 weeks later and she has been a delightful pet. She isn't a perfect example of a cairn and wouldn't of won any prizes at any dog show. I didn't buy her for that reason I just wanted a loving pet and that is just what she is.

Obviously this was a puppy farm but one of the better ones. The dogs were well looked after but never the less the owners were making a profit from dog breeding. I wouldn't buy from such a place again but would go to a reputable breeder and put my name on a waiting list. In those days it wasn't as easy to find breeders, people didn't have the internet. You had to find dogs in newspaper ads or by word of mouth.

Never the less I still think we are lucky to own a dog like "Our little Lucy"

damitjanet said:
It realy is terrible the way these poor little things suffer! The picture of the pups in the Asian market place made me shudder, I dread to think what will happen to them.My own little dog Lucy came from a farm in Lancashire 12 years ago. The ad in the local paper said home bred. So I phoned and enquired and was told " Yes the parents are family pets". He also said he had sold the ones in the ad but had some more two weeks old if I would like to come and view. The kids and I were desperate for a dog at the time so off I went to look. This was quite a journey for me because I had just passed my driving test and it was about 30 miles away but I wanted to suprise my husband and children with a new pup. Well when I eventualy arrived I found a farm and my heart sank as I could here all the barking coming from the sheds. I was taken to the puppy shed where all the little cairn babies were kept and I must admit they were kept in very clean conditions. Then he placed Lucy in my hand. Only 2 weeks old and eyes still shut and my heart melted. I thought well she is here now and if I dont buy her somebody else will and at least she will have a good home with me. I asked to see the parents and I was shown around the farm. He had about 30 Cairn Terriers there but all were kept in clean kennels and seemed happy little dogs. He assured me the dogs were walked over the fields every day so I could only take is word for it. I collected little Lucy 6 weeks later and she has been a delightful pet. She isn't a perfect example of a cairn and wouldn't of won any prizes at any dog show. I didn't buy her for that reason I just wanted a loving pet and that is just what she is.

Obviously this was a puppy farm but one of the better ones. The dogs were well looked after but never the less the owners were making a profit from dog breeding. I wouldn't buy from such a place again but would go to a reputable breeder and put my name on a waiting list. In those days it wasn't as easy to find breeders, people didn't have the internet. You had to find dogs in newspaper ads or by word of mouth.

Never the less I still think we are lucky to own a dog like "Our little Lucy"

lucy4.jpg

puppy farming is a vile, sickening and entirely greed motivated practice :angry: what really winds me up is that a decent breeder makes practically zilch on a litter, because of how much they pour into their pups to ensure that these are healthy, outgoing, as close to breed specs as they can manage. what the gullible public need to look at is...how do puppy farmers make their profit exactly?what corners are being cut? and how does this affect the puppy itself? how many of us, either directly or indirectly, have seen or heard of a pup bought from a farmer dying or having to be pts not long after purchase? too many, i'd wager :(

the sooner the government actually raises awareness and does something the better! because rescue, because breeders, because animal lovers....just arent enough :(

lalena said:
puppy farming is a vile, sickening and entirely greed motivated practice :angry: what really winds me up is that a decent breeder makes practically zilch on a litter, because of how much they pour into their pups to ensure that these are healthy, outgoing, as close to breed specs as they can manage. what the gullible public need to look at is...how do puppy farmers make their profit exactly?what corners are being cut? and how does this affect the puppy itself? how many of us, either directly or indirectly, have seen or heard of a pup bought from a farmer dying or having to be pts not long after purchase? too many, i'd wager :( the sooner the government actually raises awareness and does something the better! because rescue, because breeders, because animal lovers....just arent enough :(

Totally agree with you.

I also don't think there is any such thing a a good puppy farm,ie like damitjanet says the one she visited was "one of the better ones"just because the place looks clean,its still just a puppy factory breeding for cash,just keeping the floor clean to get the punters in.....totally shameful.

Whippets Rule said:
lalena said:
puppy farming is a vile, sickening and entirely greed motivated practice :angry: what really winds me up is that a decent breeder makes practically zilch on a litter, because of how much they pour into their pups to ensure that these are healthy, outgoing, as close to breed specs as they can manage. what the gullible public need to look at is...how do puppy farmers make their profit exactly?what corners are being cut? and how does this affect the puppy itself? how many of us, either directly or indirectly, have seen or heard of a pup bought from a farmer dying or having to be pts not long after purchase? too many, i'd wager :( the sooner the government actually raises awareness and does something the better! because rescue, because breeders, because animal lovers....just arent enough :(

Totally agree with you.

I also don't think there is any such thing a a good puppy farm,ie like damitjanet says the one she visited was "one of the better ones"just because the place looks clean,its still just a puppy factory breeding for cash,just keeping the floor clean to get the punters in.....totally shameful.

never said it was a "good puppy farm" there isnt't such a thing. Just pointing out the dogs were not in poor shape they were happy and lively and some did live in the farm house with the owner. Don't forget this was 12yrs ago and people are more aware today and the farm in question no longer breeds. As I have already said I wouldn't buy from such a place again but I was misguided by the ad which said "home bred". I wasn't prepared to walk away without seeing that at least one of these pups was going to a lovely home!

damitjanet said:
Whippets Rule said:
lalena said:

Totally agree with you.

never said it was a "good puppy farm" there isnt't such a thing. Just pointing out the dogs were not in poor shape they were happy and lively and some did live in the farm house with the owner. Don't forget this was 12yrs ago and people are more aware today and the farm in question no longer breeds. As I have already said I wouldn't buy from such a place again but I was misguided by the ad which said "home bred". I wasn't prepared to walk away without seeing that at least one of these pups was going to a lovely home!

yes i realise you did not say it was a good one,you said it was one of the better ones..personally i don't think there is such a thing. Puppy farmers are counting on the public to take pity and want to offer a good home to that one pup. But by doing so all you do is fuel the trade cos they breed one to take its place.If no one buys a pup they have no market and have to stop.Even if misguided by the ad,once a person gets there and realises its a farm, the kindest thing to do is walk away.

please note this is just my opinion which the last time i looked i was entitled to.

Whippets Rule said:
damitjanet said:
Whippets Rule said:
lalena said:

Totally agree with you.

yes i realise you did not say it was a good one,you said it was one of the better ones..personally i don't think there is such a thing. Puppy farmers are counting on the public to take pity and want to offer a good home to that one pup. But by doing so all you do is fuel the trade cos they breed one to take its place.If no one buys a pup they have no market and have to stop.Even if misguided by the ad,once a person gets there and realises its a farm, the kindest thing to do is walk away.

please note this is just my opinion which the last time i looked i was entitled to.

no, youre right. walking away is the best thing in the long run :( heartless as it is, you have to run the risk of the current puppies suffering, because long term your actions will save many more pups being bred in the future.

This site just proves how bad things are getting out there when it comes to puppy farming. IMHO those who are caught puppy farming should be locked up and never allowed to see daylight again. Let them go through what they put those poor dogs through :rant:

Dog is an companion animal, it thrives on being in close relationship with human. There was a time when I had 8 dogs, and I felt that I am not capable giving them all enough affection. Well, there is only so many Great Danes you can fit on your lap. :)

Even the best puppy farm, with well designed warm and well ventilated kennels, with good care provided is still,IMO, cruell, as it cannot provide the emotional support and care dog needs. The only contact with humans these dogs have is when the kennel attendant cleans the run and feeds them. I think puppy farming and selling pups in petshops has to be banned. Unfortunately governments do not like to interfere with bussines.

Here is a direct link to the site jools posted;

Puppywatch

OMG I knew puppy farms were places to avoid but I didn't know they were THAT bad :rant: :( . Many Tears in Carmarthen take in a lot of ex breeding bitches and I can now see why Sylvia rescues as many as posssible.

Looking at those poor pups heading for Asia makes me feel sick along with all the other pics.

OMG!!!them pictures are horriffic poor dogs!The bastards want locking up!!!!!!!!!!! :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

jools said:
A friend told me to take a look at this website www.puppywatch.org.uk. How can we get the average puppy buyer to become more aware of how these poor dogs live - and die in many cases. What the hell are the government and the RSPCA doing - they know all about them - but continue to turn a blind eye. They all make me sick.
Think that the pictures shown are from farms that the RSPCA have helped to shut down.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back