The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy Growth

EMILY

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just wondered when lurchers reach their full adult height. Zair is currently just turned six months and is 26 " in height and 30 " in length. At what age do lurchers normally reach their adult height etc.

It all depends on what type of lurcher you have every dog is different,but in general the smaller type lurchers tend to mature quicker than the larger type.In your case there is obviously some larger breeds in there for your dog to be 26"to the shoulder at six months of age,so possibly won't reach his full height until around a year old could be longer.A good idea would be to look at the parentage,and also look at him does he look like he's got much more growth in his knuckles.At the end of the day where a cross breed is concerned nobody can be certain what size they are going to end up with.Good luck hope he makes the size you want :thumbsup: karen

At 9 months I think Scrumpy has finished growing, she is just about 20" and hasn't put any weight on for over a month now, she weighs almost 13kg. She is very slim, almost skinny, I'm glad she's rough coated as she would look very ribby if she was smooth. I feed her 2-3 times daily but she doesn't always finish it all so I'm sure she's getting enough to eat. She is so energetic & is on the go all the time. Maybe as she matures she'll fill out a bit.

Zair sounds huge by comparison. :wub:

I think you will end up with one big lurcher is it a deerhound cross if so

it could end up 30in plus you will have to wait till atleast till12 months old

good luck :cheers:

My lurcher Tris hit his height at around 12 months then filled out for a couple of months or so he's 28 at the shoulder and in his peak was 56 pounds he weighs a little more than that now as he's 10 and has ambitions of being fat . his breeding is 1/4 Deerhound 1/4 collie and 1/2 Greyhound.His mum who was a Deerhound Collie cross was 32 at the shoulder his dad pure Greyhound was only 26 .I don't know how this relates to your dogs breeding but hope it helps anyway.Cheers Terry.

There is no deerhound in Zair as far as I am aware, his sire is Peonys "Basil" who I understand is bedlington, whippet, greyhound x greyhound, whippet, terrier (Peony will correct me if I am wrong!) and his dam is a greyhound x whippet greyhound I think! Quite a mixture really but I just thought that 26" at 6 months is quite large and as everyone keeps saying Zair has massive feet (also his knuckles/knees are still pretty knobbly) then wondered what height he might male eventually. We wanted a large dog and I think we will definately have that!

Here's a photo of Zair taken last week so you have an idea of his current size!

Photos_035.jpg

EMILY said:
Here's a photo of Zair taken last week so you have an idea of his current size!
Looking at the shape of his head he could be a throwback and may have a bit off Irish Wolfhound in his ancestery he definately looks big for the breeding you state He's gorgeous so just sit back and enjoy the ride(if you want to see some wolfhound pics theres some in the gallery under the title big dogs on page 3 or 4 last time I looked) Cheers Terry.

scared now! i have a 5 month beddy/whipp/grey! she's 20 inches, and good for another couple of inches. my sainted mother says they tail should stop level with the hocks, so its probably a good thing that peppers tail doesn't drag the ground any more... :blink:

[quote= my sainted mother says they tail should stop level with the hocks, so its probably a good thing that peppers tail doesn't drag the ground any more...

Really? Jeepers! Zair has the longest tail I have ever seen and is no where near his hocks at the moment! - I have looked at the "Big Dog" pics in the Gallery and have to admit he does look as though there might be some deerhound in there somewhere as his head has the squarer look rather than the more refined head off the greyhound!

I really must get into the loft to get puppy pics out ....................I have a lovely profile of Basils head taken at 6 months old, which might give you some idea Emily. As far as I know, on Basils side of the family, there is NO deerhound.............. the owners of Basils sire bred him and he is definitely Irish Terrier x Greyhound.

I have looked through the pics I have to hand and have tried to find ones of Basils head in profile .......................they are few and far between though as he usually gazing straight at me rather than wistfully into the distance lol. One thing which always strikes me about Basils face is the sheer size of his sponge ..........................does Zair have a large one??????????

IM000128.jpg

IM001955.jpg

IM001827.jpg

sorry but your dog looks as if it as deerhound in or some thing else .

carnt see alot of beddywhippet .HAS long as you are happy dont worry

but iam sure someones got the breeding wrong :cheers:

this pup will make alot bigger if only 6 months

Lovely lookin dog there Emily. Your dogs are gorgeous aswell Peonys...gorgeous. :huggles:

The strong looking head could come from the Irish terrier.Didn't last years Weston Park winner have Irish terrier in it? :D Karen

Having found a good photo of an Irish Terrier on the web I can now see that Zair does actually have a look of one in there along with the greyhound, whippet etc. The shape of the head/jaw is very similar and also the coat texture!

rodders said:
The strong looking head could come from the Irish terrier.Didn't last years Weston Park winner have Irish terrier in it? :D Karen

hi rodders, yes the dog that won the countrymans weekly champion of champions at Weston Park was a Deerhound/ Irish Terrier/ Greyhound, he is owned my friends of mine,

here is a pic of him 'Clint' :thumbsup:

DSCF0587.JPG

EMILY said:
Just wondered when lurchers reach their full adult height.  Zair is currently just turned six months and is 26 " in height and 30 " in length.  At what age do lurchers normally reach their adult height etc.
The larger type lurcher crosses eg;deerhound types appear to continue growing until 24 months even then they can still continue to develop in stature,muscle development etc. Our deerhound cross reached his mature build at 3years.

Most smaller lurcher crosses reach full height between 12-18months even this is can vary!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back