The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy playing me?

chelld

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a 14 wk old whippet pup. He's been at home with us for 4 weeks now.

First few nights were hard but he soon settled apart from early mornings, but without coming and talking to me first my neighbours complained to the council about his barking. This really stressed me out and things went backwards as j was so on edge about every noise and he knew and I spent a few nights pretty much up all night trying to keep him quiet.

Realised this was not practical and only training him to get his way. So I spoke to the neighbours and have been stricter and things have improved again.

He goes to bed (crate) around 10-11pm with a stuffed long or two, I then wake him at 3am for a potty trip and 5am again for a potty trip. He goes back in his crate no problems and tends to settle until I come down at 6 when I let him out but ignore him for a bit so he doesn't get too excited.

The problem is the last few nights he'll go into his crate fine and settle with his toy, but after about 15mins starts howling and barking. I take him out to potty and he goes, back into his crate and then 15m later the same again. He did this 3 times last night before he settled for good.

I always potty him before bed and several times in the hour leading up to bed, and always ensure he has had a bowel movement too.

So why is he doing this? Does he really need a wee or is he just playing me and I should ignore this? So anxious about my neighbours but also want him to be well trained at bedtimes so it's not an ongoing problem.

Thanks

Hia, does he actually do anything when you let him out or does he just have a sniff around?..as regards the council i wouldnt worry too much, even the harshest council officer will see you are doing your best to train and you have to give a little extra to pups...

Maybe take a bottle of wine to your neighbours, and explain to hem you have a young pup, you are doing your very best to train him but to expect a few hiccups..you are very sorry but it will get better x

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, he definitely squats to wee (can't be 100% sure whether he does) and then it's always straight back in, no messing around.

Have already taken a bottle of wine over to the neighbours and explained that I am trying to follow the recommended advice on puppy training etc, they seemed understanding but I still feel a bit on edge about it.

Well now the neighbours know your situation and you have *bribed* them with wine i wouldnt worry so much :) .I wouldnt imagine he is playing you if he is weeing, so maybe try taking your pups water up for a few hours before bed time , see if that helps. It will get easier , honestly xx

And then put it back at night, or keep it away altogether? I usually just leave fresh water available all the time.

Take it away an hour or so before bed time and give it back first thing in the morning. It wont harm him now he is a bit older x

Whippets are renowned for loving their snuggles with their human and do not like being away from them, so he is learning that crate means no cuddles!

they will whinge, whine, cry, bark, howl all sorts until they get their way and get snuggles with their human, or any kind of contact for that matter.

it's going to be painful but unless you ignore him he will learn that making a noise will get his own way. I'm warning you that him making noises may go on for hours, so you have to go with it and leave him be. Do not attend to him. even after 5 hours, because then the 5 hours of ignoring would of all been for nothing.

You ignore him and he will soon learn that it doesn't get him anywhere.

Grit your teeth, cover your ears and carry on!

I wish you the best of luck!

Sophie x

Do make sure he is warm. Whippets are notorious for feeling the cold and can not settle if they feel chilly.

Thanks for the replies everyone. He has improved and is settling much better now. I do think he was playing me a bit so have taken to ignoring him if I am sure he did a good wee and poo before being tucked in. He seems to shut up after 10mins mainly.

He should be warm enough as he has vetbed, a cushion (that came with him from the breeder) and a large blanket to snuggle up in.

Just one point, if he still isn't settled you could try putting the blanket over him, most, (if not all), Whippets love being covered.

Ohh, thats great news, sounds like you are going to have a smashing little dog there ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back