The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Puppy poos at night and eats it

Discussion in 'Puppy Forum' started by Julia Stehney, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Julia Stehney

Julia Stehney New Member Registered

Hi all,

Me again. Our lovely 5 month old GSD has a habit of pooing at night and eating it. She has her dinner at 630pm, last water at 8pm. Starting from 7pm I take her on a “poo walk” to try to get her to do her third and final poo of the day - she typically has one after each meal. However, it’s hit or miss. Some nights she will poo a third time, other nights she won’t. On the nights that she doesn’t, I’ll take her out 2-3 times after dinner/before bed to give her plenty of opportunity to poo. But if she doesn’t, I will inevitably find a brown spot on the puppy pad the next morning, the smell of poo but no poo (because she’s eaten it).

She doesn’t try to eat her poo during the day. She just walks away from it. But at night it’s like she’s trying to hide the evidence. She was doing this in her crate at night and now that she doesn’t sleep in a crate, she’s doing it on the puppy pad by the door.

Any ideas on how I can get this to stop? It can’t be healthy for her to be eating it and I find that her poos the next day are not solid as a result of twice digested yuckiness.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Julia Stehney

Julia Stehney New Member Registered

Forgot to mention I also wake up once in the night to let her out for a wee/poo in the garden.

3. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

That might happen if she was worried about your reaction, so make sure never to act annoyed at indoor accidents. I wouldn't be massively concerned, to us it is a disgusting thing but it isn't that uncommon in dogs and as she develops stronger bowel control she should be able to hold overnight. What I would do though is add a few kernels of cooked sweetcorn to the meal before her 6.30 one - that is the one she is likely to be pooing, the sweetcorn will confirm that - and possibly adjust the timing of it. Also, please don't lift her water, fresh water should always be available.

merlina, excuseme and Julia Stehney like this.