The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy toilet issues

TerryWinter

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So we stayed away for 2 nights and my 6 month puppy was able to hold herself all night both soil and wet. We stayed in a barn so she was in the bedroom and had access to the hall way (on one level). As soon as we’ve come home she’s soiled and wet twice at night. Once at 3am when she barked I went down and it was there. Then again when we got up at 6am. Any ideas? As she can clearly hold it!
She is a 6 month old Labrador

What was she like before you went away, and how long have you been back for? It's possible that she is simply more settled being in the bedroom with you at night - is having her in your bedroom in the long term a possibility?

Was she clean/dry at night before?

If yes, she may be heading for her first season, when housetraining sometimes becomes a temporary issue due to the hormones flush.

If her house-training has always been a bit hit and miss, try taking (not putting) her out just before you go to bed. A 10-15 minute walk often produces results too.

Was she clean/dry at night before?

If yes, she may be heading for her first season, when housetraining sometimes becomes a temporary issue due to the hormones flush.

If her house-training has always been a bit hit and miss, try taking (not putting) her out just before you go to bed. A 10-15 minute walk often produces results too.
She’s always been like it at home. She goes out regularly if I say toilet she will go to the door. And she goes out just before we go to bed she will have a wee. Then she seems to do one in the kitchen in the night then again in the morning. Unaware what she’s done as she won’t tell me when she needs to go. I just can’t grasp why she is doing it at home but didn’t do it when we were away

It sounds more like an anxiety issue than a toileting issue then - as the others have said, having her in your room at the holiday place gave her the security to sleep through. Can you have her in your room at home?

Also, if she needs to go out during the day, does she ask? Or do you take her out so regularly during the day that she never has to ask?

Another possibility is that while you were away, maybe she was getting more activity during the day so was simply more tired at night.

Also, if she needs to go out during the day, does she ask? Or do you take her out so regularly during the day that she never has to ask?

Another possibility is that while you were away, maybe she was getting more activity during the day so was simply more tired at night.
She will pace around the house and when I say toilet she will run to the door for me to let her out x

She sounds really smart, so will you give letting her sleep in your room a try? You will soon know if that's the solution. If you don't want it to be permanent we can suggest ways to wean her back to another room, but it would be helpful to know if this works first.

She sounds really smart, so will you give letting her sleep in your room a try? You will soon know if that's the solution. If you don't want it to be permanent we can suggest ways to wean her back to another room, but it would be helpful to know if this works first.
I would try it yes but my partner won’t allow them (we have an 11yr old lab) upstairs because of the hairs which is understandable. But then we had our old boy upstairs with us in the first instance 🤦🏻‍♀️

Personally I'd have thought that dog hairs in the bedroom wasn't as bad as poo and wee in the kitchen... It would be a lot quicker to run the vacuum round the bedroom than mop the kitchcen floor.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back