The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy training issues

Kaylee

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello,

I recently got a puppy. He's 10 weeks old now. I like him a lot already, but training is going glacial ^_^ .

I'm unsure about a few things and worried that my lack of experience may result in him learning the wrong things.

If I could get advice on the following items, that would help me a lot:

• I tried teaching him his name, but the advice I've read so far was to make him look at you by making a noise, then, when he's looking at you, say his name, then give a treat. Or say his name, then give a treat when he's looking at you. Problem is, he doesn't really look at me either way. What can I do?
  • He has accepted his collar ok. Still scratching it a bit, but not much. I tried introducing the lead today and I read that you should attach it to him, and let him drag it around while engaging in an exciting game. Problem is: He instantly starts chewing on the lead and won't be distracted by anything. I tried his favourite toys and treats, but to no avail. I'm afraid he'll learn that this is what he's supposed to do when the lead comes on, so I stopped training until I know what to do... :(
  • He keeps chasing his tail. I've read that interrupting him with loud noises should do the trick, but he just keeps going. I tried giving him one of his favourite toys after interrupting.
  • He generally looses interest in games quite quickly. I read that you should initiate and end games, but what am I supposed to do when he stops playing after 1-2 minute or even earlier? He doesn't really seem to be too interested in interacting with me, but will cry/whine when I ignore him or pay no attention to him.
Hope you can help me be a good dog owner!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try not to over think things too much, enjoy your puppy! But to answer your questions -

I tried teaching him his name, but the advice I've read so far was to make him look at you by making a noise, then, when he's looking at you, say his name, then give a treat. Or say his name, then give a treat when he's looking at you. Problem is, he doesn't really look at me either way. What can I do?

I would just say his name to him and no other cues at this stage. Have no other sound distractions like tv or radio. As soon as puppy engages with you, use his name and treat him.

He has accepted his collar ok. Still scratching it a bit, but not much. I tried introducing the lead today and I read that you should attach it to him, and let him drag it around while engaging in an exciting game. Problem is: He instantly starts chewing on the lead and won't be distracted by anything. I tried his favourite toys and treats, but to no avail. I'm afraid he'll learn that this is what he's supposed to do when the lead comes on, so I stopped training until I know what to do... :(

Try not letting him drag it, just hold it up behind him maybe? Or perhaps it is a little too soon, maybe you could delay for a week or two? I'm not a big fan of dragging leads anyway because they can catch on things. You could try a ribbon when you try again. And puppies explore EVERYTHING with their mouths, this is really normal.

He keeps chasing his tail. I've read that interrupting him with loud noises should do the trick, but he just keeps going. I tried giving him one of his favourite toys after interrupting.

Are you worried about him chasing his tail? I just let mine do it ... maybe someone else will come up with a reason to stop it but I didn't think there was any harm. Redirecting on to a toy is however a good policy for any unwanted behaviour.

He generally looses interest in games quite quickly. I read that you should initiate and end games, but what am I supposed to do when he stops playing after 1-2 minute or even earlier? He doesn't really seem to be too interested in interacting with me, but will cry/whine when I ignore him or pay no attention to him.

Perhaps his span for playing is just short. However you should reward him with attention (a stroke, a treat or a play) when he is quiet and not when he is attention seeking, so he doesnt develop into a needy dog. You can use his food allowance for rewards too. It's a good idea to have a hierarchy of rewards - normal food for something like this and something more exciting for learning to toilet outside, recall etc.

Hope some of that helps.

Thanks Joanne for your reply!

Try not letting him drag it, just hold it up behind him maybe? Or perhaps it is a little too soon, maybe you could delay for a week or two? I'm not a big fan of dragging leads anyway because they can catch on things. You could try a ribbon when you try again. And puppies explore EVERYTHING with their mouths, this is really normal.
I tried it with holding the lead, but he went completely insane and tried to get away from me. It's not an actual lead, it's the same material but doesn't have a "loop".

Regarding the tail chasing: He does it a lot. And in some of the books I've read they recommend to make sure she doesn't do it too much or he might develop a compulsory disorder. Not sure if that's true and just how much is too much, that's why I'm asking.

What sort of environment did you puppy come from? Was it a busy house with the pups all getting lots of handling and attention? Or were they kept somewhere quiet, away from the household hustle and bustle?

It may be that your pup is struggling, still, to deal with the change of environment. He has left his litter mates and his mum. It will take time for him to bond with you.

I would, for now, just care for him like you would a new born baby. Feed, toilet, cuddles (if he enjoys them) etc. Use his name when you feed him so that it has positive associations. Lots of puppies just get called "puppy" at first until the owners can settle on a name.

Be led by his development. If he shows an interest in an object, that he can have, then join in, gently, with him while he investigates it.

Tail chasing can be a sign of stress. This could be any stress from an itchy bottom to not coping, yet, with his new environment.

What was his worming status when he came to you?

Thanks gypsysmum for your reply!

He came from a breeder who kept the litter in a kennel next to their house. They were keeping them there with more of the same breed and other breeds.

So I'm not sure how much handling he got. It wasn't a quiet environment, but not too noisy either. The litter definitely didn't see to mind it at all.

The breeder seems to be getting good feedback from everyone they give puppies to and she seemed to know what she was talking about (has been breeding for years).

He's been wormed before we got him and then our VET did another run a week ago.

A home environment is very different from a kennel environment. We do not notice things like the heating coming on, creaking stairs, washing machines, cooker fans etc etc but they can be very worrying to a puppy. Your puppy will take a while to get used to all the noises, smells etc of a home environment.

Most kennel dogs actually see very little of the people that care for them. The care may be excellent, but it only happens a couple of times a day. The rest of the time the pups just play with each other and watch the outside world go by. I have known four month old, kennel bred, puppies that refuse to enter the house when brought home for the first time. All very bewildering for them.

As I said above I would just be led by your puppy for now. If he wants to interact then sit on the floor and interact. If he needs space then give it to him. Just by feeding him you will soon become the most important person in his life :) Once this happens you can gently begin the name training and the lead training. Just a few seconds every once in a while.

He may never have had a game with a human and a toy, just the other puppies, so he will need to learn that they can be fun. Be led by the ones that he seems to enjoy rather than the ones you think that dogs should play.

Not sure if it is considered an old wives tale, now, but tail chasing used to be a sign of worms. Make sure you only use wormers from your vet as shop bought ones do not work.

Keep us updated!

Thanks gypsysmum!

I'll give that a go and see how it goes.

He recently started digging on the rug and biting its edges and then starting to try to turn it over. I'm offering him lots of alternatives for biting and chewing, but he simply won't go for it. It's not an expensive rug, but I still don't want to have to buy a new one every week :lol: after he's destroyed the old one...

What breed is he? Some breeds like to dig. Others like to make "beds".

For now I would just distract him into doing something else and give him lots of gentle attention for doing it. If we pay too much attention to unwanted behaviour the puppy learns to get attention by doing it.

Similarly, if we ignore them when they are playing nicely, or just resting, they find it boring and stop doing it! So, as a general rule, pay attention to a well behaved puppy and ignore a naughty one in order to end up with a good companion.

He's a border terrier. So, yes, digging is something they will do, I just didn't expect that he'd be focusing on everything but his toys :rolleyes:

Redirecting his attention to a toy alone doesn't seem to work, redirecting his attention to me sitting down and playing with him works, but just feels like I'm rewarding him for chewing on the rug...

You could be right. It is a fine line between "distracting" them from doing something naughty and giving them attention for doing it.

Distracting can be done by clapping the hands or some other such noise. As soon as the puppy stops chewing the rug then give attention. Try to introduce a short interval between the cessation of chewing and giving the attention so that the puppy does not pair the "chew, stop, get attention". It is quite hard to get it right but with practice and perseverance you will get there.

Is it possible to remove the rug for a while? Puppies soon move on to other activities!

I only got the rug for him, because I've got laminate flooring in the sitting room and he was sliding a lot before. He now loves the rug; sleeps on it, preferably stays on it during the day.

So, yes. I could remove it, but I think it wouldn't be good for him to do so :-/

Ah! I see...

So the rug probably stands out, to him, in the room and he focuses on chewing it or digging it. Could you get some more rugs/throws from a charity shop to take his focus off the one rug? A bit like flooding him with lots and lots of things to bore him with them. You could then, safely, ignore him when he is chewing charity shop floor coverings to see if that is the reason he is doing it.

If her persists in digging and chewing everything in sight, despite being ignored, then the reason for the behaviour must lie elsewhere. He may be feeling stressed or frustrated for some reason and is digging/chewing to relieve those feelings.

"Vet Bed" is a good product that is used in vets' surgeries. I use it a lot around the house and car as absorbent rugs . It is reputed to be chew proof. None of my dogs has ever managed to chew it. It is machine washable. It might be a good substitute for the new rug while he is growing up?

Another day, another issue :D She now decided that jumping on the sofa is the best thing in the world. She can't reach the top yet, but will be able to soon. So far she only stretches and puts her front paws on the top.. As I've read, I just lure her down, say "off" and treat/praise. Been doing this for two days now, but no progress.

Does anyone have any advice?

Just keep doing what you are doing. Treat when all four paws are on the floor.

Just noticed I posted this in the wrong thread :D whoops! Sorry about that.

I hope you'll be a good dog owner. Me too, I want to be a good dog owner too. I'm happy to hear from you.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back