The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy vaccinations

Jack Louise

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi
We are buying a puppy and receive regular updates from the breeder with pictures and we’re in a group chat with other buyers. We recently received a message from the breeder saying his vet has advised that all vets around the country use different chemicals in their vaccinations and that this can upset the puppies, so we need to get this done ourselves as well as getting them microchipped ourselves too. I pretty sure this isn’t right, has anyone else come across this?
Thanks

I’d walk away, dosnt seem right, if he’s cutting corners now then what he really like, even if it’s true it’s still his job isn’t it?

By law the breeder (the person who's bitch has had and reared the puppies) should get the puppies micro-chipped before they leave for their new homes.
"All dog breeders are responsible for ensuring their puppies are microchipped before re homing them".
Puppies cannot be sold before 8 weeks of age, and must be microchipped prior to the puppies leaving.
If you are buying a new puppy make sure it is microchipped before taking it home.
The breeder must always be the first registered keeper of the puppies on one of the national databases. BEWARE if the breeder has not or will not microchip their puppies before collection.

Vaccinations are fine to wait until a little later.
Our vet does not start vaccinations until 9 to 10 weeks of age. Puppies have maternal protection in their early weeks, so waiting and starting the process yourselves is quiet a normal practice and part of new puppy ownership.

The other problem with vaccination is that the same vaccines are made by several different manufacturers and many vets will insist on starting a whole new vaccination programme if the breeder has used vaccination A and the vet practice uses vaccination B.

Hi
We are buying a puppy and receive regular updates from the breeder with pictures and we’re in a group chat with other buyers. We recently received a message from the breeder saying his vet has advised that all vets around the country use different chemicals in their vaccinations and that this can upset the puppies, so we need to get this done ourselves as well as getting them microchipped ourselves too. I pretty sure this isn’t right, has anyone else come across this?
Thanks

Hello. What kind of puppy you getting? :)

I recently got a shih-tzu/jack Russell pup at 8 weeks. The breeder had his first jab done and gave me the vaccination record sheet.

I needed my puppy to have his second jabs at a certain date so I rang my vet to book him in but they wouldnt until they knew what chemical he was getting a breeders vet.

He was also microchipped by the breeder too. I am pretty sure legally they have to be microchipped and first jabs done at around 6weeks. Could be wrong though.

Do you know how old will your pup be when you get him/her?

There is no law that states you should give first vaccination at 6 weeks. Puppies have a lot of maternal antibodies and protection at this age, vaccinations given too early can cause problems and many vets will dismiss this vaccination and start another program of protection. Therefore a waste of someones money and putting non required chemicals into such a young puppies body. :eek:

Last edited:
There is no law that states you should give first vaccination at 6 weeks. Puppies have a lot of maternal protection at this age, vaccinations given too early can cause problems and many vets will dismiss this vaccination and start another program of protection. Therefore a waste of someones money and putting non required chemicals into such a young puppies body. :eek:
Indeed and if the pup has had its first vaccination before going to the new home, breeder should supply the pup with vaccination card from the vet that has label on to show the exact brand/type/lot of chemical used.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back