The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy Walking

Indee

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just a question about walking a puppy before inocculations are finished- now I wouldn't dream of taking Riley "out" out but is it all right to take him where you know no other dogs have been? Like for a little wonder down the lonnin to the bottom fields on my partners farm? it's a ten minute walk there and back would that be too much at that age? Any advice or comments many thanks!

Indee said:
Just a question about walking a puppy before inocculations are finished- now I wouldn't dream of taking Riley "out" out but is it all right to take him where you know no other dogs have been? Like for a little wonder down the lonnin to the bottom fields on my partners farm? it's a ten minute walk there and back would that be too much at that age?  Any advice or comments many thanks!
Hi there, this is my opinion, until your puppy has had all the injenctions due, and im sure your vet would agree, there is no way i would have taken my pup out of my own back garden, down to a farm you say, you ever heard of ringworm, infectious to dogs, via cattle, plenty of time to go walkies with your pup once the injections are complete, ask the vet when.

keith

midlanderkeith said:
Indee said:
Just a question about walking a puppy before inocculations are finished- now I wouldn't dream of taking Riley "out" out but is it all right to take him where you know no other dogs have been? Like for a little wonder down the lonnin to the bottom fields on my partners farm? it's a ten minute walk there and back would that be too much at that age?  Any advice or comments many thanks!
Hi there, this is my opinion, until your puppy has had all the injenctions due, and im sure your vet would agree, there is no way i would have taken my pup out of my own back garden, down to a farm you say, you ever heard of ringworm, infectious to dogs, via cattle, plenty of time to go walkies with your pup once the injections are complete, ask the vet when.

keith

Hello, I totally agree, do not walk your puppy in places where other animals might have been, during the period of inocculations. It could get a disease for which it is not completely inocculated yet, or it could get another (perhaps harmless) disease which the body is normally capable of fighting succesfully, but when an inocculation comes on top of that the body also needs to fight that new intruder, and sometimes that could prove to be too many things to fight at a time! This is what our vet explained to us when one of our pups fell ill right after its 2nd inocculation. We learnt our lesson: to be cautious and .... patient!! Wbr, Monique

Last edited by a moderator:
We take our pups out before their innoculations but not walking on the ground just Visiting our friends & family without dogs) we do let them down in our garden, our other dogs are coming in and out, so i see no difference if the pup is in our garden.

We take our pups out on walks with our other dogs but just tucked inside one of our coats, i think it does them good, they can see and have a good look round get used to different sounds & smells and get some fresh air. Thats what we do :thumbsup:

Bets of luck with your boy :luck:

I discussed this with several vets both about Tess and now about Esme.

One (the one who I trust most in general) said it was ok to put them down after the second injection as he feels the area is well vaccinated (as long as I keep her away from the city streets and the traveller's dogs) and it is important that they learn about the real world as early as possible.

Another said keep them up for two weeks after the second injection (but I don't think she's a great vet, she diagnosed Tess with hip dysplasia when she actually had a chip of bone off just bellow her hock :eek: ).

Two others (and all the nurses at the two practices I go to) said keep them up for around a week after the second injection.

All agreed that if you have somewhere safe eg a field when no other dogs, or only vaccinated dogs walk (and the puppy is regularly wormed etc) walking there would be fine.

After all, if you have other dogs, they are out and about meeting other dogs and running around getting filthy (sometimes in unmentionable thinpgs) and you don't sterilise them or yourself before interacting with your puppy.

My compromise has been to carry her around everywhere for the first two weeks so she can get used to being outside, and then put her down for short periods in 'safe' places so she gets used to coming when called outside (we have rather a small garden so this is harder to practice at home) and learns to be independent at her most impressionable age. After a week it so happends that we are going to stay with friends who have a lot of land that is private and she will come for normal (if short) walks, and by the time we all get home she can go out with the others normally.

With Tess we walked in a safe field from the start with no problems, she was older than Esme when we got her and really needed the outdoors exercise, especially being an only puppy.

Hope this helps.

It is his grandads farm, which we have a cottage on so this is where the pup will be growing up, the lonnin is a safe place. He'll be introduced to cattle etc, which milo never was. When the pup is older he'll be going into Dodd wood which the garden backs onto - plenty of wildlife to disturb there for miles and when you reach the top spectacular views (not that the dogs notice :- " ).

When milo was a pup I was told that after the 2nd injec. to let him wonder for 5 or so minutes in a safe place. So I may wait a week with the puppy before letting him down. Always interesting to know peoples opinions.

I agree in principal with keeping your puppy away from other dogs and animals.

But, I just wonder how many people actually keep their dogs jabs up to date with annual boosters, as they are not just for puppies!

But as you all say a puppy is a precious thing, I think there is nothing wrong in taking your puppy out, but you choose the venue with the greatest of care.

Firemansam said:
I agree in principal with keeping your puppy away from other dogs and animals.
But, I just wonder how many people actually keep their dogs jabs up to date with annual boosters, as they are not just for puppies!

But as you all say a puppy is a precious thing, I think there is nothing wrong in taking your puppy out, but you choose the venue with the greatest of care.

Annual boosters.... everythime I take Milo for his the Vet always comments on how many times other clients forget or just don't bother, he always sends out a reminder postcard every year and he still doesn't see dogs come in. This is why I would never dream of taking a puppy to a park not for the first few months because the amount of dogs walked there you just never know. The odd times I have taken Milo the next day he has always had an upset stomach - this could be for a number of reasons but I will definatly wait before going there again.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back