The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy with Sensitive Tummy

samismithxx

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Everyone,

I hope someone might be able to help or advise on the following!

I’m really struggling to find a food that agrees with my 15 week old Boston Terrier puppy.

When he came to us he was bleeding from his Anus, we took him straight to the vet and they advised Chicken & rice which worked a treat, solid stools and no bloody. We then slowly weaned him from Chicken & Rice to Royal Cannin puppy food. His anus bled again. We took him back to the vet and she advised Royal Cannin Gastrointestinal. We mixed this with chicken and rice slowly and as soon as he had a bowl of kibbles only his anus bled again. We have tried Royal Cannin medium puppy food and Royal Cannin Gastrointestinal puppy mousse. His stools are really loose and the farts are terrible!!!

We have tried to transition slowly from each food but none seem to agree with him.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or can advise?

Thank you! :)

Are you talking about bleeding from his anus or blood in his stool, maybe colitis?

A bit of both, more so the blood from his anus after his food.

As soon as he goes back into chicken and rice his stools are perfect and no bleeding from the anus so very strange!

Royal Cannin is not a very good quality food. Grains are difficult for our dogs to digest.
I would suggest that you either change to a raw diet or a good quality Grain Free dry food.(Please remember that RICE is also a grain).
Changing to a raw diet can be done quiet quickly, but changing to a kibble needs a little more care.

Have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) out of 100. You can set filters for your dog's breed, weight, age etc. and for your daily budget; then you can add in any specific needs you have such as aiming for weight loss or avoiding specific ingredients. The website will automatically show the foods listed in order of what the assessors believe is best quality, and it also will show daily feeding cost (calculated from your dog's age and weight) so you can see what gives you best value for money. It has its limitations but it's a decent place to start.

We ended up with Lilys kitchen - more expensive than had planned but worth it to have normal poos (although we never had bleeding, just liquid poos).

The other brands I heard good things about for sensitive tums are Simpsons and also Fish4Dogs. Fish4Dogs do a sample size for £1ish, I think Simpsons do as well? Save you buying a full pack.

Fingers crossed you find something that works.

Another vote here for a raw diet - I never found a kibble that suited my dog's digestions, though he just had soft poos, no bleeding.

If you do try another kibble, you need to change over very gradually - at least a week, but as your pup has a sensistive digestion, maybe 10 days.

Thank you, that’s great.

We eased him over a few weeks with the new kibble but it just doesn’t agree with him. I will definitely look into the raw food diet.

Feeding a raw diet does not have to be bloody or messy. And the change over can be very quick.
The last puppy that we bought was changed within 2 days, there were no tummy problems and her condition was quiet noticeable within 1 week.

Do consider buying a little book named; "Honeys Natural Feeding for Dogs".
This can sometimes be bought on Amazon for as little as 1p. It is easy to read and easy to understand, nothing complicated.

"Natures Menu" is a good product to get started with and can be found in many good pet stores with a freezer.

Take care with your treats and chews that are on most shelves in the shops, If they are man made/processed don't use them. No matter how good the wrappers say they are!

That’s great thank you so much. I have looked at the Natures Menu and had some advise from their chat service on their website. It looks quite promising so I’ll give it a try!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back