The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy won't go back to sleep after wakening in middle of night

hannahireland

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All

I am new to here so hopefully I am doing this right!

We have got a 16 week old cocker spaniel. At the beginning she didn't sleep alot but we have had a few nights were she has slept right through until one of us is getting up for work.

This week she has started wakening at 4am/5am and has been let out to go to the toilet. When she is let out she will not go back to sleep and cries the house down. I have let her into our bed and she goes to sleep right away so I know she is still tired enough to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this? I don't want her in the habit of being in our bed all the time.

On another note, we also have to let her fall asleep in front of us at night and then carry her bed to the utility room where she sleeps.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated :)

She is probably realising she is alone when she doesn't go back to sleep, and having been fairly recently taken from mum and littermates, and falling asleep at night while you are around, it's understandable that she is a bit scared at suddenly finding herself alone.

The fact she sleeps when in your bed underlines that. Unfortunately many people make the mistake of allowing a puppy to cry in the hope that they grow out of it, when actually all they have done is cement in the puppies mind that being left alone is indeed a terrible thing, and for many dogs this fear becomes a learned habit.

I would take her bed to your room. If not at the start of the night, at least when she has been up to toilet. If you don't want her in your bed, have it beside your bed, so you can put a hand down to reassure her if necessary. This won't make her clingy; rather it will reassure her and build her confidence. Gradually, you can start to move it - a foot or two at a time - so she spends a few nights at the other side of your room, a few just outside etc. until she is sleeping where you want her. If she cries, you are going too fast and need to go back a step.

During the day though you should start to get her used to being alone for short periods so when she isn't interacting with you (to make your leaving less of a contrast) just walk out the room then back in - build up the time gradually.

welcome to the forum @hannahireland and what a gorgeous girl she is! :)

I'm not surprised she cries she's having the life of luxury being carried to bed :D:D:D

It's been a long time since I've had a puppy so I won't be much use for information but as I can see already @JoanneF has already provided some good advice and you'll receive lots more from everyone else on here to!

She is probably realising she is alone when she doesn't go back to sleep, and having been fairly recently taken from mum and littermates, and falling asleep at night while you are around, it's understandable that she is a bit scared at suddenly finding herself alone.

The fact she sleeps when in your bed underlines that. Unfortunately many people make the mistake of allowing a puppy to cry in the hope that they grow out of it, when actually all they have done is cement in the puppies mind that being left alone is indeed a terrible thing, and for many dogs this fear becomes a learned habit.

I would take her bed to your room. If not at the start of the night, at least when she has been up to toilet. If you don't want her in your bed, have it beside your bed, so you can put a hand down to reassure her if necessary. This won't make her clingy; rather it will reassure her and build her confidence. Gradually, you can start to move it - a foot or two at a time - so she spends a few nights at the other side of your room, a few just outside etc. until she is sleeping where you want her. If she cries, you are going too fast and need to go back a step.

During the day though you should start to get her used to being alone for short periods so when she isn't interacting with you (to make your leaving less of a contrast) just walk out the room then back in - build up the time gradually.

Thank you Joanne for your advice. We both work so during the day she does be by herself for a while at a time, albeit she maybe cries then but when I arrive home/petsitter arrives she is quiet!

I will give this a go and fingers crossed we will get there! :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back