The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy, youngster or older dog?

CollieMad

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Since losing one of our dogs last year we have one 2 year old crossbreed (collie/kelpie cross) and we want to look at rehoming another dog, now we dont know whether to go for a puppy around 10 weeks old, a slightly older one around the age of 9-18 months or an older dog around the same age as our current boy...any advice welcome. Thank you

Personally I don't think it matter what age you get the dog with the age ranges you have suggested. The only thing I would say is it may be harder work having an adolescent dog (9-18 months) than a puppy, as you can train puppies from scratch. the older dog will have still lots of learning to do.

Most dogs that age end up in kennels as their owners have them from puppies then don't understand why they are naughty all of sudden and think they have behavioral issues when all they doing is growing up, but all they are doing is testing their owners (typical teenagers basically!)

I think its a wonderful thing for you to rehome another dog and if your current dog is very well socialized and is not a dominant male then the transition for him no longer being the only dog should go pretty smoothly.

Good luck!

Sophie x

I got Marley at 13 months from rescue, he was hard work but is amazing. He lived with our other neutered male until he passed dec last year. He isnt dominant i wouldnt say, he can get on lovely with many dogs, his hackles go up on walks out of slight anxiety, this never used to happen when he was part of a multi dog household, its so hard to know what to do. Our boy we lost was a very scared reactive dog, so we had a hard time with him as he had issues from being a puppy farm dog, we got him at under 8 weeks unknowing his background so was not easy at all, and lost him aged 3 years :( but Marley was the only dog he accepted and they adored each other after the usual teething problems you face when bringing a new dog into a home. Marley is now 2 and was moved pillar to post before coming to me, but has always been in homes with other dogs so i dont want to leave it for years and then it not work...i guess i also worry about getting a puppy from a proper breeder and it not working out :/ so hard to know what to do

Owww, a hard one...we have had dogs for years, our own and fosters, ive handreared babies of all species and they have gone back to rescue when they are weaned and ready for release/or getting ready for rehoming. We have always had older dogs and Willow (our 8 month old german shepherd collie cross) is the first puppy we have had to keep...im sure she will be our last too hahahahahaha. dont get me wrong, she is fab, she is clever, responsive, she does brill at training, she is loving , gentle with us and loyal but OMG she is non stop!!..she can open cupboards, she can reach everything we dont want her too because she is a big girl, she opens doors, all the door handles have been turned upside down, the kitchen cupboards have child locks on them, the fridge also has a lock on it, she is one beautiful bundle of mischief...we wouldnt ever be without her, and we are putting so much work into her im sure in a year she is going to be a cracking dog, but we would never have a puppy again...we normally have hard to place or older dogs..our last dog marley was 127lb anatolian shepherd x mastif that was a romanian street dog with fear aggression ...and he was easier than Willow :) ...thing is i cant actually put my finger on why she seems so hard, because she really is fab, but i think its that she is on the go all day, and because she is a baby is into everything and we just cant take our eyes off her for a minute...but there is the good side of it in that if you get a pup, you basically get a dog with no issues, and they have no 'previous' issues or abuse that you have to put right, they are with you from tiny and you know their history. I remember when i brought Willow home, it hadnt been long since our beautiful big boy Marley had died, and his death had deverstated us all, but my husband was destroyed by his passing...id met her a few times before she came home because i was involved with the rescue but my husband had chosen to wait to meet her. I had to go to the rescue to take some dogs in, and they said i may as well take her home, so my hubby wasnt expecting her that day. i arrived home ,sneaked in the back way and just placed her wrapped in a pink blanket on my hubbys knee, he broke down and took her into the dining room (dont think he wanted the kids to see him cry)..i could hear him talking to her, he was telling her he was her daddy, he would always keep her safe , she would always be loved, she would never be cold or hungry or scared...that broke my heart...he was right..this was the first dog we had ever had that would never have to go through any of that, she was a rescue pup, but she was born in rescue so had never been abused or starved ..when i look at her im so grateful that this is one dog that will never go through any of that, so i suppose thats the really good thing about a pup, but the flip side of getting an older rescue is that they get their 'golden basket'..you really would make such a difference to any dog you get, i read what you went through with your other dog, you were amazing what you did for him and who ever you decide to bring home will be a very lucky dog landing on all 4 paws xx

Raven you wont ever know what your post here means to me, i cannot thank you enough. I miss Buster every day, but know we did what he needed us to do, though i have had dark days and days where i have thought i couldnt be without him.

Willow sounds like a right little madam but so much fun too!! I think it may well be the collie in her that makes her non stop, she could sure teach my lad Marley a few things i am sure!! Does sound like Willow came to you at the time both she and your family needed her to.

All i want is to make a difference to a dogs life, and for our family to feel a bit closer to being complete again, as it feels so odd and empty without Buster boy being here winding Marley up and playing again like he did when he was well :)

Before humans die, they write their last will and testament, giving their home and all they have to those they leave behind. If, with my paws, I could do the same, this is what I’d ask…

To a poor and lonely stray, I’d give my happy home; my bowl and cozy bed, soft pillow and all my toys; the lap, which I loved so much; the hand that stroked my fur; and the sweet voice that spoke my name.

I’d will to the sad, scared, shelter dog the place I had in my human’s loving heart, of which there seemed no bounds.

So, when I die, please do not say, “I will never have a pet again, for the loss and the pain is more than I can stand.”

Instead, go find an unloved dog, one whose life has held no joy or hope, and give my place to him.

This is the only thing I can give…

The love I left behind.

– Author Unknown

i dont know if you have ever seen this...but when the time is right you will know...dont feel guilty about adding another fur baby to your home, you did everything and more and can hold your head up knowing you loved him more than anyone could, and you did what most wouldnt ...it will get easier i promise, and we are all here to help you xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Just keep visiting the rescue centres until the "right" dog makes itself know to you. Don't rule out an oldie either. We took on a nine year old crossbreed once. He lived until he was thirteen and we completely retrained him out of his little ways that did not suit our family.

Most rescue centres will let you test the dog of your choice with your existing dog to make sure they are compatible.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back