The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pups From The Same Litter

sue burton

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Ok me again needing more help do any of you have experiance of having two pups from the same litter and any problems.I know Katie and Esty have 2 from the same litter but has any one else just need to know what I would be letting my self in for :*

i personally wouldnt have 2 from the same litter twice the work and training is more difficult as they tend to bond with each other and not you its not to say it cant be done but i personally wouldnt go down this route good luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
kept a dog and a bitch from our last litter 5 years ago now.no problems at all .

have kept 2 dogs in the past.

Our first ever whippets were two brothers and not a minrts probs but the next two brothers were really different and were always at each other.vet made a fortune stitching them up!

I so depends on their temps but of course as babies you cant tell. You perhaps have to be a strong leader to keep them in line.but many people manage well.

never kept 2 bitches from same litter but lots do with no trouble.We have six all together and only one bitch can be a problem as she can get really excited and lash out but she was a solo puppy.

good luck ;)

i have said i before, i have never had one pup on its own so cant say what the difference is,

but we have found raising 2 fine, yeah they bond with each other, but their bond with us (me) is just as good if not better.

they keep each other company and use up their energy chasing each other about, i think that takes quite a bit of pressure of us :)

if there is anything you want to ask feel free, but i think i may just watch this topic for now as you have probabily already read all my shpeel about having 2 from other threads :-

looking forward to reading other peoples opinions though :thumbsup:

Hi Emma here, Scott and myself have always kept 2 pups from each litter, and I can honestly say it has been no trouble , but I have always walked them 1 at a time , so they get that special attention, :)

I read in a dog magazine that its not the best think to do getting pups from the same litter because aparently they stick 2gether and you dont get as closer bond with them then having the 1. but thats just what i read! hope u find your dream pup or pups ;)

Hi

hope u dont mind me butting in. I had two dogs from the same litter and would not do it again. They fought terribly at times , drawing blood - one was the runt of the litter - think he had little man syndrome! But thats just my experience.

I just wondered what everyone thought if I did get 2 at the same time it would be one of each as I've always had a boy and a girl as I have always consided this the best combination (just my opinion) not intending to breed both woud be done :blink:

hi sue as regards to neutering i personally wouldnt have them done untill they are at least 18 months and the bitch has had her first season so they can mature properly vets seem in such a rush to take your money and advise you to do it as soon as possible which could be a problem if you have noone to look after the dog while she is in season i do think whippets are probably an easier breed as regard to having 2 as they love their own company good luck with whatever you decide though :thumbsup:

we keeped Darcey and Forrest from laceys litter and they have been a joy nevere fort very little chewing there recalls brill very odediant. we did worry as we have read not to kep to pups from the same litter and did think they might become unrule thugs but we did speand a few minets with each pup sepratly for the firts couple of months and we enguredge things like sleeping sepratly and there wonderfull. we then got scarlet a single pup and shes been 5 times the work of Forrest and Darcey.

we allso have indy and ruby who are litter sisters we had Indy from 7 weeks and got Ruby when shes was 18 months its odvius they know there sisters there allways togethere sleep togethere ect and again never had a problem ad there both entire bitches they even have there season at the same time startig within 24 hours of each othere every time and dont fight infcat they get over frendly with each other if anything. both indy and ruby are quiet dominet but cos im top bitch there no problem with that eather

once my lot are houes trained there not created so have have the run of the place and havent had a problem with eather sibling group.

I actully now thing I would if i could allways go for a pair from the same litter

hi sue as regards to neutering i personally wouldnt have them done untill they are at least 18 months and the bitch has had her first season so they can mature properly vets seem in such a rush to take your money and advise you to do it as soon as possible which could be a problem if you have noone to look after the dog while she is in season i do think whippets are probably an easier breed as regard to having 2 as they love their own company good luck with whatever you decide though :thumbsup:
I havegrown up kids who would help untill she is old enough to be neutered :thumbsup: the joy of all those years I've looked after them and theres pay back at last

As Katie said, I won't add much as you may have read our previous posts. I will add that I don't have a problem with them bonding with each other too much - they definitely like their own space now. In fact, it may be a hormone thing but they are having some terrible scraps at the moment, especially when they are off lead together all they seem to want to do is grab each other by the neck and bring each other down. They are so evenly matched in size that there seem to be constant takeover bids for top dog position (currently Roscoe)They've not actually drawn blood but much more vicious than before (only with each other though, never with people) Has made me consider neutering very seriously but I won't do this until at least 18 months so will have to hope it passes. Grover has bonded so much with me that I'm having sep. anxiety problems even though he has Roscoe for comfort. I'd say the benefits of having two dogs (discussed in a previous thread) far outweigh any drawbacks. Training is going well, too. I do think if I added to the pack I'd get a bitch to keep them in place so a boy/ girl littermate mix would work well I reckon.

Jazad also has two boys from the same litter :thumbsup:

I aways run 2 on from a litter. This last litter now 10 months I have 3 2 bitches and a dog. Amber and Simba are very close and practically unseperable they are twins the same colour almost identical markings. But they have also bonded with me and my family. We bred them and so have always been there with them. I have have not really had any problems with having the 3 together. They run together and play together.

As Katie said, I won't add much as you may have read our previous posts. I will add that I don't have a problem with them bonding with each other too much - they definitely like their own space now. In fact, it may be a hormone thing but they are having some terrible scraps at the moment, especially when they are off lead together all they seem to want to do is grab each other by the neck and bring each other down. They are so evenly matched in size that there seem to be constant takeover bids for top dog position (currently Roscoe)They've not actually drawn blood but much more vicious than before (only with each other though, never with people) Has made me consider neutering very seriously but I won't do this until at least 18 months so will have to hope it passes. Grover has bonded so much with me that I'm having sep. anxiety problems even though he has Roscoe for comfort. I'd say the benefits of having two dogs (discussed in a previous thread) far outweigh any drawbacks. Training is going well, too. I do think if I added to the pack I'd get a bitch to keep them in place so a boy/ girl littermate mix would work well I reckon.

Jazad also has two boys from the same litter :thumbsup:

Hi

Yes, I have two boys from the same litter (about 2 weeks younger than Ros and Grover - and incidentally distantly related!).

Pro's:

They keep each other company (never had any whiney nights)

They play with each other and chase each other around the park

10% off at vets and insurance (but on twice the fees - woman's logic :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Twice as much whippety fun (and mayhem)

Learn good habits from each other

Cons:

Twice as much poop

Twice as much cost (less 10% discount)

Twice as much whippety mayhem (and fun)

Training can be difficult as we have a small house and they distract each other

Learn bad habits from each other

Over all I'm glad we got two - although I was astounded by how much poo two pups could produce (and that's even though I have a disabled 5 year old still in nappies who frankly could be an Olympic pooper!)

Our two can fight quite viciously (little man syndrome as KJH1 said) the "runt" is Huey and he is quite feisty whereas Marlo is bigger (broader and bigger boned altogether) but totally laid back! Our walks are fun as they both "battle" to be in front. If OH and I are walking them they are fine - if kids come too and dare to walk out front it gets quite funny as in the dogs' minds the kids are obviously low on the totem pole! :b Need to work on pack dynamics I think!

Good luck with your decision ;)

z

We've got two pups for the same litter(well they are both 4 now) they get on very well :wub: :wub: . Though Keano lives with me and Jake stays with my parents they see each other everyday and we have never had any problems :thumbsup: we also have mum, dad and a sister from a pervious mating and they all get on well too.

Hi
Yes, I have two boys from the same litter (about 2 weeks younger than Ros and Grover - and incidentally distantly related!).

Pro's:

They keep each other company (never had any whiney nights)

They play with each other and chase each other around the park

10% off at vets and insurance (but on twice the fees - woman's logic :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Twice as much whippety fun (and mayhem)

Learn good habits from each other

Cons:

Twice as much poop

Twice as much cost (less 10% discount)

Twice as much whippety mayhem (and fun)

Training can be difficult as we have a small house and they distract each other

Learn bad habits from each other

Over all I'm glad we got two - although I was astounded by how much poo two pups could produce (and that's even though I have a disabled 5 year old still in nappies who frankly could be an Olympic pooper!)

Our two can fight quite viciously (little man syndrome as KJH1 said) the "runt" is Huey and he is quite feisty whereas Marlo is bigger (broader and bigger boned altogether) but totally laid back! Our walks are fun as they both "battle" to be in front. If OH and I are walking them they are fine - if kids come too and dare to walk out front it gets quite funny as in the dogs' minds the kids are obviously low on the totem pole! :b Need to work on pack dynamics I think!

Good luck with your decision ;)

z

sorry to go a bit of topic here, but Jazad, what do you feed your 2?

my girls could poop for scotland (4/5 BIG poos a day) and it would stink and be soft, (we fed them buchers tins) we have changed to naturesdiet and they now poop twice a day and its not very big, firmer and far less smelly :thumbsup:

sorry for talking poop :x

back on topic,

only problem i have found so far, is house training, if you dont catch them in the act you dont know who has done it.

not a problem now of course, but it took us up untill they were 10months to be fully house trained. :b (which actually is partly to do with us not having a back door either :blink: )

the one other thing thats not so much a problem is that we have started ring craft, and they are constanly looking for the other (which means they arnt consentrating on what they are suppose to be doing. but i guess if we had started at ring craft earlier it wouldnt be so much of a problem :)

but appart from that, i havnt had any problems with them, ie not bonding with us aswell, traing or recall, and infact my girls have never been a walk on their own all training was done together (somtimes with 2 of us and we would take a dog each and "try" to be at opposite ends of the field lol)

But honestly now we have 2 i think we would stick to adding one at a time,

but if it came about that we were ever back to no dogs, i would 100% get litter mates again :wub:

Probably controversially on this list at the minute they are still on Pedigree and Pedigree Small Bite Mixer - because Huey is very fussy and it tooks us about six weeks to finally get him eating - that's when his brindle colouring was coming through and the stripes on his ribs helped with the scrawny plague rat look that he developed! He also gets a scrambled egg with his breakfast and finally looks healthy.

The poops are not so bad now - but (sorry for the detail here) seem to do two at a time - so each meal produces 4 total. They are pretty firm and not too stinky - I can't believe I'm going into such detail :x

I will probably move them onto Natures in the next two or three months (when they go to 2 meals).

And no amount of encouragement will persude me to go BARF :- - well except the thought of BARF :x

z

My partner's got 3 dogs from one lining age 5 , a dog and a bitch from another lining age 2, my 3 peds (2 dogs 1 bitch) also age 5 and we now have 2 x 6month old bitch pups from the same litter too. My friends (Vicky and Mark on here) has 3 dogs all from same litter (age 4 in May) and also has 3 pups from the same litter which will be staying put.

There are many more I can mention who have well trained dogs that are siblings but the only commonality between us is that we've bred the litters and we've all grown up in families that have kept several dogs at a time.

It may be that because they've been born into a 'pack' situation, they've adapted easily because there are adult dogs present already recognising the humans as having alpha status. Or it may be that when you have a large amount of dogs, your on the case for any untoward behaviour before it starts.

I don't think it's for everyone though as many a time on here there's been people who have got 2 pups and had no previous experience of dogs and it's turned out that one of the youngsters is assuming alpha status over everyone in the household.

I suppose it depends on how committed you can be, how assertive and observant you are with dog behaviour and what pack situation you have in place already (if any)

I currently have the third pair of brother & sister that I have kept from the same litter. Like Wild Whippies though I have a multi-dog household so they tend to just fit in but I do find it easier to have 2 together whilst they are at that 'in-between' stage of the rest of the litter having gone to their new homes but not big enough to mingle freely with the adults. I kept 2 bitches from one litter and I would not do that again as I found that they kept having spats, one being much more outgoing and the other a shrinking violet. I re-homed one at 6 months old and the one I kept (who was the shrinking violet) blossomed into a much stronger, better personality. I have never kept 2 dogs from a litter but would imagine you could have the same problem as I had with the bitches.

thanks every one for your input I an not a novice owner have had dogs all my life have always had them in pairs last pair were brother and sister but two years apart and never had a moments bother with them

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back