The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Putting Lead On

lynyona

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Morning
I went and got a harness from Pets at home on Sunday and the lady said to put it on in the house a while till she gets used to it because she was so fidgety getting it on .I am using a normal lead at the moment the problem I have got is as soon as she sees my dog walking bag( contains poo bags treats and I have a water giver thing hanging from it) she knows she is going out she will sit until I get the dog lead out and then she goes mad , when I grab her collar to put the lead on she is whining barking and biting my hand until it is attached to her collar she doesn't bark when we are going out and she can walk pretty good she only pulls as soon as she sees our street corner then we have the same ritual trying to get the lead off her when we get back home. just wondering maybe just put her lead on during the day even if we re not going out ? When I get back from her walk just leave the lead on until she s calmed down a bit ? Any suggestions will be appreciated TIA

She may not be happy at having her collar grabbed - many dogs aren't. I would try to put the lead on without grabbing the collar. If she bounces around too much, I'd work on putting her into a nice calm sit, walking towards her holding the lead but not so close that she starts bouncing, and reward a nice calm sit. Then gradually work on getting closer to her in the sit, till you can hold the lead against the collar loop, until finally, you can clip it on. You could work on this before mealtimes as well as before walks.

When you come home, as you suggest I'd leave the lead on till she's calm enough to hold that happy sit while you take it off - and then reward her.

Did you get the harness to overcome this problem? I'm confused.

I'd hang the bag [inside a closet door, on a hook in the entry, or any handy spot] & I'd leave the lead OUT at all times.

Pick it up... & lay it down. Drape it over a chair. Put it on the coffee-table. Carry it to the kitchen. Take it along & hang it on the shower rod, when U use the toilet.
Hang it bandolier-style over one shoulder, with the clip over the opposite hip [e-g, right shoulder \ left hip]. Have the lead visible, & just move it, place to place, or wear it, around yer neck like a lei, till it's no longer a cue to go nuts. ;)

When U want to clip the leash to the dog's harness, have the harness ALREADY ON THE DOG, & call her into a small space - the bathroom, the kitchen, the entryway... & CLOSE THE DOOR to confine her to that small area. Now, cue sit - & clip the lead on quickly. [Laying the lead flat on the floor can help U to catch the dog off-guard. Squat or kneel, ask for SIT, pick up leash while offering a tidbit, & as dog nibbles it, clip to harness.]
- terry

Did you get the harness to overcome this problem? I'm confused.
I got her an harness to overcome pulling but the lady at Pets at home said just put it on her in the house for a few days because we had the same problem trying to put the harness on her ..hopefully I will be able to take her out in it soon

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back