The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Question About Times

Discussion in 'Dog Sports' started by running_free, Apr 11, 2007.

1. running_free

running_free New Member Registered

I was wondering what times would you say is reasonable over say 120 yards, cant seem to get past that length yet, long story but no lure :blink: or if any of you that has timed a race can you give me an idea?

Thankyou

:)

2. Strike Whippets

Strike Whippets New Member Registered

My OH says about 7.2 seconds for a ped Whippet :) .....Not that I'd know as its a bit to technical for me :lol:

3. running_free

Thankyou it will give me something to aim for :thumbsup:

:cheers:

4. wild whippies

wild whippies Super-D-Duper Registered

Hiya Chris, Why don't you and Jax have a run at Worcestor? I'm sure they'd welcome you and your family.

Jac

5. Joanna

Joanna Active Member Registered

If you say that 10 seconds over 150 yards is a good time, and divide 150 by 10, that is 15 yards per second. Divide 120 by 15 and that gives you 8 seconds. (I think that is right.) That is more than reasonable. Very fast dogs can nip in under the 10 for 150 yards, mostly the exceptional open class dogs who consistently win main finals.

6. IanGerman

IanGerman Active Member Registered

Time alone won't tell you a great deal as much depend on factors such as the ground, grass length, uphill, level or downhill (for instance Harvel is quite an uphill climb from the traps) against a headwind even (always that way at Newmarket!)

Theorising I'd say somewhere between 7.5 and 8 secs for 120yards as whippets run flat out from the trap and slow down towards the line as their stamina reduces.

But the best test of all of course is against another whippet. That way not only can you judge speed but also trapping ability, determination and track savvy - clever whippets know when to go around or inside - useful when bend racing.

However - a fast whippet isn't essential to having racing fun - and trust me on this, your whippet WILL have fun, and never even KNOW if he was fast or slow :))

7. running_free

Hiya Jac,

Hope your well,

We will be doing some trialing at Worcs when the midweek Wednesday evening starts up, but being up against the super fast non peds just wanted to see what time a pedi speed machine would roughly get, for comparison :thumbsup: Unfortunitely am unable to do the weekends due to my crappy workshift and Heart of England being my nearest unfortunately only seem to do weekends :(

But working on the free Chris from work campaign haha

Cheers Chris :D

8. running_free

Thanks Joanna, well the only way we do it at the moment is our footy pitch is 110 yards Pinky P holds the boys at one goal line, I stand after halfway line wait for one of them to get near then hoist the tennis ball as far as I can, now using my highly technical telephone stop watch :wacko: , ok they do get a bit unfocused watching the ball and slow down to catch it quite sharply but Kai gets about 8 1/4 give or take a 100th and lil Stirling just over 8 1/2 but is difficult to time properly! Kai has always been hungry for lure when we took him trialing last year, often jumping out of the slippers grip :- " And is alot faster than his brother who does better in the ring and would rather play "Want it? Cant have it!", when he has the ball :lol: So hopefully on a proper track chasing a lure they can both edge off some of those times.

Thanks for your reply

Chris :D

9. running_free

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply,

Yes I kinda guess its all down to conditions, and against other dogs, my quickest one is a clever soul and always knows when to cut inside or turn when his Bro is on his hind legs, hes quicker too, but then they go all over the place so its no good trying to race the two together.

I know they love it and whatever the consequences, win or loose they are still my stars :thumbsup: But we all dream of having the fastest dog dont we :D

Cheers

Chris

10. BeeJay

BeeJay New Member Registered

Ah it also depends on the timer type being used. Hand timing shows a faster time if it's started from when the traps open, as opposed to electronic timers which start when the button is pressed and there is a delay between it being pressed and the traps opening. It's a fraction of a second but with whippets that's a big difference.

11. jason cooper

jason cooper New Member Registered

hello time for 120 yrds is about 7.8 to 8.0 sec

12. Joanna

Nice to see you on K9 Jason :huggles: . Course, you and Dad would know having had yonks of experience :thumbsup:

13. Strike Whippets

We'll go with you then dear :D ......Chris was close ....Really he was taking Dobbie and Gracies usual times at 120 yards :b ......Nice to see you posting .....See you and rat face on Sunday :thumbsup:

14. Rae

Rae New Member Registered

Good luck with the boys Chris - I love your technique very imaginative :D

Rat Face Hannah? I just can't believe you would talk of little sugar mouse like that. :wub:

15. Strike Whippets

LOL Chris said he only went by what our timers told him :lol: .......Rat face is perfect for a creamy fawn and all :wub:

16. Joanna

Crikey............That is very complicated, but sounds like you are being fairly accurate with timing none-the-less.

Wild whippies mentioned Worcester(is there a non-ped track there?). Have you heard of the Independent at Worcester? It is mainly peds and they are running quite regularly at the moment.

Also Heart of England run on Saturdays.

Work on 15 yards/second and you are doing pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007