The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Question For Exhibitors From Britain Coming To Niwc

Macha

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I am wondering if there are people coming from Britain to the Northern Ireland whippet club show who would consider bringing a rescued dog back with them.

It is an unfortunate fact that Irish rescues depend very much on other countries, mostly GB to rehome many of their dogs. Yes, the UK has it's own unwanted dog problem, but the numbers getting killed in pounds in Britain is not nearly as high as in Ireland. The pound near me in N Ireland does work with local rescues, yet over a third of the dogs in the pound are killed. And often the dogs that we send to British rescues are adopted very quickly, sometimes in just a week. So it really is a lifeline.

If you transport a dog from a rescue, a dog which has been vaccinated and had its temperament assessed, you will be freeing space at that rescue for another pound dog or other urgent case.

I don't have any specific dogs in mind at present, but you are welcome to pmail if you wish to discuss the matter further, including which rescue organisations might be worth contacting.

well, I haven't had any responses

If anyone asked me, I would try to broker a move for a dog from my local rescue or from one of the sighthound rescues. It was also a general suggestion in case anyone wanted to make their own enquiries. I also haven't received comments on discussion threads on 3 websites (including k9) asking about the overall feasibility of transport networking between dog show exhibitors and rescue groups

Rainbow rehoming in Derry would like to find places for two female lurchers, medium size, good temperaments (though one is perilous to cats). One of them has already been spayed, both vaxed. I've had one offer of transport, to Sunderland, from the whippet club show and am trying to find rescue space in that area for at least one of these lurchers.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back