The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Question

lizzyb

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Do any of you remember a topic on eye colour [ Blue}in whippets ??

Had a lady on the phone and she was asking if this would be ok in the ring !!!?

Do you mean that an adult Whippet actually with blue (like a Husky or Border Collie) eyes??? Nothing in the breed standard to say you can't show a Whip with blue eyes but ..................................!!!

I have never seen an adult Whippet with a "wall eye" or blue eyes? :blink:

But I suppose it takes all kinds,is the dog in question a parti? as with horses the skewbalds or pieblds tend to throw this.

I have seen one dog with a wall eye but he was a rescue and had no papers (I think I am right in saying). To all intents and purposes he looks 'pedigree' but who knows for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
dessie said:
I have seen one dog with a wall eye but he was a rescue and had no papers (I think I am right in saying).  To all intents and purposes he looks 'pedigree' but who knows for sure
Hmmm,I suppose that he could have had a little bit of Lurcher in there maybe Caroline?? I know they can have it,usually derived from the Collie in there.

Out of total nosiness,what color was he?

This lady did n,t say what colour the pup was . but is KC reg apparantly. I did think that there may have been a bit of lurcher there . I dont have any more info than that .

I did say that puppies do have blue eyes at an early age but she reconed deffinatly blue .

Would this penalise a dog in the ??????

There was an oddeyed pedigree whippet (with some very illustrious ancestors) born in Sweden early this year. They do crop up now and again, it seems. She is not even a parti: http://www.kennelexofficios.com/lovas_sida.html

The UK/FCI standard don't mention eye colour, but I believe blue eyes are a disqualification in the AKC whippet standard. Not sure how judges would handle it in UK/FCI countries, though.

Hello there,

a friend of mine had an odd-eyed Whippet, too:

chancy1.jpg
chancy2.jpg

This is "Superfly´s Upper Class", aka "Chancy", pictured at 10 years

In Germany you need at least two "very good" at a CAC show in any adult class to get a breeding permission for your Whippet. As the judges were not sure how to deal with odd-eyed dogs they would give this boy only a "good". As he went older, my friend showed him twice in Veteran Class. The judges then only focused on his excellent condition, so he got two "Excellent" and his breeding permission o:) We had a fine litter from him in 2005, all three puppies had dark eyes and two of them are doing extraordinay well in the showring.

Regards,

Barbara & the boys

What a handsom boy he is to. Welcome to K9 Barbara

Remember Lily? The rescue girl I had with me for a while earlier this year? She definitely has one blue eye, but she is pure white. I always thought that is a disqulifying fault in Whippet. But if this lady's dog has 2 blue eyes, I bet anything they will turn yellow when he gets older.

My first post on K9 quite a few years ago now was about Archie who still had blue eyes at 5 months - they were an amber colour by about 6 months and although quite light - they perfectly match his coat.

05whippet said:
dessie said:
I have seen one dog with a wall eye but he was a rescue and had no papers (I think I am right in saying).  To all intents and purposes he looks 'pedigree' but who knows for sure
Hmmm,I suppose that he could have had a little bit of Lurcher in there maybe Caroline?? I know they can have it,usually derived from the Collie in there.

He is a brindle (with black stripes) and has one blue/one brown eye.

Seraphina said:
I always thought that is a disqulifying fault in Whippet.
As the risk of being boring, I will repeat myself once more ................. we do not have disqualifying faults in this country!!!!. If you are not sure, just don't place the dog, but only the Kennel Club can disqualify a dog

dessie said:
05whippet said:
dessie said:

He is a brindle (with black stripes) and has one blue/one brown eye.

Seraphina said:
I always thought that is a disqulifying fault in Whippet.
As the risk of being boring, I will repeat myself once more ................. we do not have disqualifying faults in this country!!!!. If you are not sure, just don't place the dog, but only the Kennel Club can disqualify a dog

You, boring, Caroline...................NEVER (w00t)

Here Archie is with blue eyes

archiehead5mnth.jpg

and a bloody awful picture but you can just about see his amber eyes

Archiestitches.jpg

dessie said:
05whippet said:
dessie said:

He is a brindle (with black stripes) and has one blue/one brown eye.Thanks for that Caroline,I think it is odd to have an animal with a "wall eye" in such a strong color,all very interesting. :thumbsup:

dessie said:
[
As the risk of being boring, I will repeat myself once more ................. we do not have disqualifying faults in this country!!!!.  If you are not sure, just don't place the dog, but only the Kennel Club can disqualify a dog

:oops: It is the USA standard that has it;

Disqualifications

More than one-half inch above or below stated height limits.

Blue or wall eyes.

Undershot, overshot one-quarter inch or more.

Any coat other than short, close, smooth and firm in texture.

What about missing testicles? Isn't it a disqulifying fault in all breeds? If not what do the judges do if they have cryptorchid in the line up?

Seraphina said:
dessie said:
[
As the risk of being boring, I will repeat myself once more ................. we do not have disqualifying faults in this country!!!!.  If you are not sure, just don't place the dog, but only the Kennel Club can disqualify a dog

:oops: It is the USA standard that has it;

Disqualifications

More than one-half inch above or below stated height limits.

Blue or wall eyes.

Undershot, overshot one-quarter inch or more.

Any coat other than short, close, smooth and firm in texture.

What about missing testicles? Isn't it a disqulifying fault in all breeds? If not what do the judges do if they have cryptorchid in the line up?

Well we are not talking about the USA we are talking about England, sorry the UK.

As I have said before, if you are not sure .................. you don't have to place the animal or you can put it at the end of the line up if there are only 5 in the class. The judge cannot send a dog out of the ring unless it has bitten them!!! Only the Kennel Club can disqualify a dog from an award.

The breed standard for every breed merely states at the end

"Faults

Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Note

Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum."

Therefore, as we all interpret the breed standard differently, it is down to the judge whether they place the dog or not. Simple as that.

As very few of us are Vets I think we would be hard pushed to justify whether any fault would have an effect upon the health or welfare of a dog!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back