The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Question

wildhare

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Thunder who is a Dual Champion (confirmation and lure coursing) ran a rather long course of 875 yards

with the other Field Champion for breed and they both were time clocked at 49.5 seconds for the run -

if I figured that right that would be 36.15 miles/hour average for the course - how does that compare to dogs

that lure course regularly over there? I will say that it was a fairly wide open course with rounded corners

and was designed for "speed dogs" - Thunder is entirely show bred and his competitor Sterling is race bred -

Thunder is 22 1/2 inches tall and 48 lbs in running weight and Sterling is 21 1/2" and 38 lbs -

dwight

My Sloughi dog ran a whippet bend last sunday (265 yards i think ) he ran it four seperate times at ten seconds a time or slightly less .Must point out though that I done the time calculations :b

Thunder who is a Dual Champion (confirmation and lure coursing) ran a rather long course of 875 yards with the other Field Champion for breed and they both were time clocked at 49.5 seconds for the run -

if I figured that right that would be 36.15 miles/hour average for the course - how does that compare to dogs

that lure course regularly over there? I will say that it was a fairly wide open course with rounded corners

and was designed for "speed dogs" - Thunder is entirely show bred and his competitor Sterling is race bred -

Thunder is 22 1/2 inches tall and 48 lbs in running weight and Sterling is 21 1/2" and 38 lbs -

dwight
how was the course measured? and how do you know that the dogs did 875 yards ie corner cutting, we very rarely time the dogs running a course as speed is not judged

Thunder who is a Dual Champion (confirmation and lure coursing) ran a rather long course of 875 yards with the other Field Champion for breed and they both were time clocked at 49.5 seconds for the run -

dwight
how was the course measured? and how do you know that the dogs did 875 yards ie corner cutting, we very rarely time the dogs running a course as speed is not judged
Thunder usually overruns the corners and prefers to run outside the string - neither Thunder or Sterling have been

running that long and rarely cut unless the lure is way way out front - the course was measured with a wheel -

speed is judged as part of their score but that is relative and subjective - two fast dogs its harder to tell which

is the fastest and usually both dont score that much for speed - a slow and fast one the speed is obvious and

the faster is rewarded with higher scores in the speed catagory - the time was "unofficial" - an interested spectator

put a stop watch on them at the "tally-ho" and ended at the signal to "retreive your hound" - I just was curious

how Thunder would fare over there if he were running - we have run longer courses (up to 1400 yards) but most

of the courses are in the 600 to 700 yard length with lots of turns and twists - top speed is penalized on such

courses because of the physics of changing direction multiple times with short runs between -

dwight

You can't get an accurate time for a lure course as unlike racing where you hgave a set track with fencing lure coursing allowes the dogs to cut the course considerably so it would be impossible to get an accurate time to use for comparison.

You can't get an accurate time for a lure course as unlike racing where you hgave a set track with fencing lure coursing allowes the dogs to cut the course considerably so it would be impossible to get an accurate time to use for comparison.
unless you did the timing like the park coursing done in Ireland, when the dogs are timed from slips to certain point set for all courses, this is afterall where the accelleration comes into it and all level for all dogs i.e. straight to the point, no bends, no over runs and no corners cut, every dog measured over the identical distance

unless you did the timing like the park coursing done in Ireland, when the dogs are timed from slips to certain point set for all courses, this is afterall where the accelleration comes into it and all level for all dogs i.e. straight to the point, no bends, no over runs and no corners cut, every dog measured over the identical distance
Park coursing is basicially straight racing as the hare straight lines it to safety so same as mr roberts points out.

it's possible to time 2 dogs lure coursing ie click the stop watch and click again when they cross the line,what is not possible is to say how far each dog ran it does not matter that you think they have run true because you would have to be in a helicopter looking down to be sure they have stuck to the course

dwight
Thunder usually overruns the corners and prefers to run outside the string - neither Thunder or Sterling have been

running that long and rarely cut unless the lure is way way out front - the course was measured with a wheel -

speed is judged as part of their score but that is relative and subjective - two fast dogs its harder to tell which

is the fastest and usually both dont score that much for speed - a slow and fast one the speed is obvious and

the faster is rewarded with higher scores in the speed catagory - the time was "unofficial" - an interested spectator

put a stop watch on them at the "tally-ho" and ended at the signal to "retreive your hound" - I just was curious

how Thunder would fare over there if he were running - we have run longer courses (up to 1400 yards) but most

of the courses are in the 600 to 700 yard length with lots of turns and twists - top speed is penalized on such

courses because of the physics of changing direction multiple times with short runs between -

dwight
its difficult to say how "Thunder" would fare in the Uk, i would think that he would have some keen competion as most whippets running here are a great deal smaller and also most are racing dogs who also Lure Course so consequently they tend to be fast and race fit

Park coursing is basicially straight racing as the hare straight lines it to safety so same as mr roberts points out.

it's possible to time 2 dogs lure coursing ie click the stop watch and click again when they cross the line,what is not possible is to say how far each dog ran it does not matter that you think they have run true because you would have to be in a helicopter looking down to be sure they have stuck to the course

open coursing WAS timed from the moment the dogs were slipped until the judge gave his decision irrespective of wether the dogs were still running the hare into the next parish and beyond :thumbsup:

park coursing is basically a straight run up ideally But some hares do break and turn left right or back ie a bad hare so not all dogs cover the same distance in a stake (unlike in a race over a measured distance) and thats where the splits come into it by timing each course over the first 100-150yds depending on the fields length. When the results are put up it gives these split times after each dogs name

how long is the typical course there?
dwight
it depends on event and location but most run between 500 and 700 yard as they tend to be drag rather than loop system, so time is always an issue because of restringing

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back