The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Racing And Coursing Show Classes

julie_s

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

My daughter has recently caught the showing bug and we've been taking Ruby to a ringcraft class. Ruby is very much racing bred, so I've no idea how they will fare in the shows against show bred whippets. She's beginning with a companion class and a club match next month and we'll see how they go. Anyway I noticed there is a race/course class at crufts but I've never seen this type of class in any of the show schedules she's aquired from the class. Which show's are these classes held at? I thought maybe she might no better in this class if she is that type of dog? If anyone has any advice I'd be most grateful.

Here's Robyn practising her stacking on the beach.

Image044.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Whippet Club, NWA and Midland Whippet all have Racing/Lure Coursing classes, usually at their Open or Limit shows.

We have racing/coursing classes at East Anglian Whippet Club our Open show is on 25th March if you would like any further information please e-mail me gunhounddog@aol.com. Also a lot of K9er's come so it would be a good opportunity for you to meet them.

Alayna

South West Whippet also schedule classes for racing and lure coursing dogs at their open shows.

Gill

julie_s said:
Hi,
My daughter has recently caught the showing bug and we've been taking Ruby to a ringcraft class. Ruby is very much racing bred, so I've no idea how they will fare in the shows against show bred whippets. She's beginning with a companion class and a club match next month and we'll see how they go. Anyway I noticed there is a race/course class at crufts but I've never seen this type of class in any of the show schedules she's aquired from the class. Which show's are these classes held at? I thought maybe she might no better in this class if she is that type of dog? If anyone has any advice I'd be most grateful.

View attachment 40937

Good Luck with your new venture into showing :luck:

I'm still really new to it all, and having a great time and meeting loads of people. Jacob enters the traditional classes, and I like to enter my racing boy into the racing/coursing classes when they are there :thumbsup:

I am most impressed with the picture :D Ruby is obviously well behaved for Robyn, mine would look at me like I was mad if I asked them to stack on the beach (w00t)

As far as I know, racing and coursing classes aren't for dogs of specific bloodlines but for dogs that have proved themselves on the track/in the field. Can someone clarify that for us? How old is Ruby and has she raced? Don't be afraid to take her to limit and open shows which don't have classes specifically for racing whippets.

Hi Julie Ruby is looking really nice. There is nothing to stop you from showing her. To be honest she doesnt look to much like a racey type to me. If you are interested there is a show in Arboath on the 1st of April. If you want i could give you the number to phone for a catlogue. There is also a Junior Handling class which is a great way for your daughter to learn how to handle. If she is needing any tips please give me a bell cause i used to be one of the top JH in the North of Scotland, though it seems like a long time ago (w00t) (w00t) i started of in the JH classes when i was 6 and have been showing ever since (w00t)

TC said:
I am most impressed with the picture  :D Ruby is obviously well behaved for Robyn, mine would look at me like I was mad if I asked them to stack on the beach  (w00t)
Well there's also a bit of a story to the picture. Do you see Ruby looking far into the distance?! There was a couple at the beach last saturday with a cat out for a walk!? I think it was a birman and it was sitting on the very top of a pointy dune telling it's owners in no uncertain terms that "NO" it was not going down onto the beach. I think they were a bit mad myself... :wacko: . It's about two miles to the beach along an estuary flanked by sand dunes then 1/2 mile along the beach and 1 1/2 miles back through sandy heathland, imagine if a dog had chased it they'd never find it again. Then they came back to their car and put it in the boot of their saloon car! :rant: poor furry.

So that's what Ruby was so fixated upon oh and she IS very well behaved for Robyn.

Macha said:
As far as I know, racing and coursing classes aren't for dogs of specific bloodlines but for dogs that have proved themselves on the track/in the field. Can someone clarify that for us? How old is Ruby and has she raced? Don't be afraid to take her to limit and open shows which don't have classes specifically for racing whippets.
Ah I hadn't thought about that and no she hasn't done any racing yet... she's only 9 months but we hope to get her to the club for a trial and a few race meets this year... unfortunately we're a 2 1/2 hour drive away from the nearest club so it's no really feasible to travel every weekend :( but we'll certainly try her at a few local shows and we have a few schedules for open and limit shows nearby. I can see I'm going to spend the next few years ferrying them to various locations in Scotland, glad Ruby's good in the car :D !

neave said:
Hi Julie Ruby is looking really nice.  There is nothing to stop you from showing her.  To be honest she doesnt look to much like a racey type to me.  If you are interested there is a show in Arboath on the 1st of April.  If you want i could give you the number to phone for a catlogue.  There is also a Junior Handling class which is a great way for your daughter to learn how to handle.  If she is needing any tips please give me a bell cause i used to be one of the top JH in the North of Scotland, though it seems like a long time ago (w00t)   (w00t) i started of in the JH classes when i was 6 and have been showing ever since  (w00t)
Hi Neave,

Glad to hear speymalt did so well the other weekend!

Robyn has the catalogue for that show in her collection she aquired from the ringcraft class, it's the Angus and Kincardineshire show isn't it? I'll suggest that to her... I'm sure she'll be keen tho' . What class do you suggest she should enter apart from the junior handlers (I believe the dog has to enter another class as well)? AV puppy? Ruby will be 10 months old by that time.

That couple must of been mad! (w00t) (w00t) my dad was thinking of having an a charity show with racing up in Buckie nothing been set up yet it was an idea he had at the weekend. But if it does go a head i will let you know.

neave said:
That couple must of been mad! (w00t)   (w00t) my dad was thinking of having an a charity show with racing up in Buckie nothing been set up yet it was an idea he had at the weekend.  But if it does go a head i will let you know.
Oooo that sounds great, tell your dad we'd definately come along :thumbsup: ! We've been toying with idea of getting a lure machine made and seeing if we can get a few other running dog owners interested in a bit of racing for fun, but we need a bit more experience first.

Am sure you'll get there. I know there used to be a club in Dingwall but am not sure if its still running. Dad used to run a club years ago up in Buckie he still has traps, jacket, lure and muzzles. It would be great if he went a head with the show and racing.

neave said:
Am sure you'll get there.  I know there used to be a club in Dingwall but am not sure if its still running.  Dad used to run a club years ago up in Buckie he still has traps, jacket, lure and muzzles.  It would be great if he went a head with the show and racing.

The club in Dingwall closed many years ago :( :(

julie_s said:
Hi,

View attachment 40937

The Whippet Club of Scotland has classes for whippets that race regularly at their members show in November, I think the only one in Scotland that does, but the Whippet Club has 10 classes for racing/coursing/lure coursing at the members show in Jan. Northern Counties has classes also at their Jan show.Not sure where abouts you are based Robyn will find that there are Junior handling classes at most shows which would be good practice for her too. It looks as though Ruby is very pretty and Robyn has her well stacked, well worth trying out at Open and Ltd shows in your area. Good luck.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back