randomly being sick

Josie

Administrator
Administrator
Registered
Wagso - Clevedon Dog Walking Services
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Sometimes Dennis will wake up in the middle of the night and go downstairs. The minute I hear this happening I know he's going to be sick.

If I can't get there in time to let him outside I am likely to find lots of piles of sick all over the place. Usually down the side of the sofa, behind the door, under the dining table etc. anywhere difficult to get to! and always in a different place.

Once he's been sick a few times he goes back to bed an is absolutely fine.

Does anyone else's dog do this?

any ideas why it might happen?

p.s it's not after he's eaten anything he shouldn't have

Sorry to push this in a rather gross direction but is he bringing up undigested food or is it more like bile? You said piles so I am guessing the former, which could be from having eaten too fast. Did you get a slow feeder bowl?

It's undigested. The strange thing is, it doesn't happen until about 4am so I don't think that could be because he's eaten too fast?

No I haven't yet. I'm unsure about changing things now he's 10.

Timber has occasionally sicked up something at that sort of time or even 7am. It has been the same thing though - undigested chew. We just avoid that type of chew now because it seems to not agree with him. If there is no pattern and it is something fairly recent, I remember reading that an animal's digestive system becomes less effective with age (let's face it, along with every other part of our bodies - it's the wear and tear of getting older). If it happens a lot you could try a supplement like plant enzymes, or Dorwest have digestive aids for pets.

Digestive Enzymes for Dogs

thanks @JoanneF - very interesting article. Oh no he's like Peter Pan :(

Sometimes it can be because the dog is hungry, and a bedtime snack can counteract that. But I think they tend to bring up bile then so it's probably not related to Dennis's problem (regardless of what he tells you;)).

What food does he have? Does he have a treat/food before bed (up to an hour before?)

a slow-feeding process can't possibly hurt him; i'd probly get a nice rounded river-cobble [or 2 or 3, depending on size] wash them well with a brush & dish-soap, rinse 'em, & plop them atop his meals. // They can be put in the dishwasher for sanitizing, or hand-washed with a brush after each meal.
They need to be large-enuf that he cannot POSSIBLY swallow them, so 2/3 tennis-ball size is fine, for most dogs.

If he eats dry kibble, the BusterCube can be a great tool for a slower meal - its only disadvantage is that it's noisy on hardwood or concrete & other hard surfaces, particularly if U have another tenant downstairs. :--\

He may also be digesting his food poorly, or having trouble absorbing it - a good dig-enzymes supplement will help with the 1st, & a high-potency probiotic of live microbes can help with the 2nd. Neither will hurt him.

These are both excellent products, that i've used for both humans & animals -
DigestMore Ultra

Ultimate Flora Probiotics | Live Probiotics | Renew Life

They are free of coloring, chemical preservatives, animal products [gelatin from hooves, etc], fillers, & other needless ingredients; the gut-flora are in BILLIONS per capsule, just twist it open above a Tbsp or 2 of organic yogurt in a small muffin-cup, mix, & serve [the yogurt feeds the critters & cushions them from the stomach acid, plus it prevents the dog from sniffing & blowing them all over the room in a sneeze... :eek: :oops: :rolleyes: . Been there, seen it.

Enzymes must be given with every meal - microbes can be given with every meal for a few days to a week, then 1X every other day or 1X every 3-days, see what works for him. ;)

- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back