The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Raw diet

Andy999

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Is it ok to change a diet from kibble to raw at any age. The dog is 6 and is an IWH and I would like to feed raw.

There's are some raw experts who will add more but yes, it should be an easy transition. I don't think you even need to do it as gradually as if you were changing brands of kibble.

As far as I know there is no age limit.
George is 18 mths and until he came to us ate dry food and table scrapes. Hes now on complete raw mince like Murphy and hes loving it.

Yes you would be able to change over from kibble to raw,I would go cold turkey and do a straight swap but would start giving a probiotic a couple of days before Puppies seem to change over from kibble to raw with no problem but to an older dog I would give a probiotic I use low fat Yakult.I would start with premade blocks there are many companies out there now who do this or you can get them from Pets at Home I would start off with green tripe as it's full of nutrients and gentle on the tum,I am sure some others will be along who can give you some more advice:)

You will be able to change your chap quiet quickly, it will be so good for him. His age is not a problem.
A couple of days would be fine, use lots of variety in your raw food, different meat types, various offal, gristle, fat and bones , all help towards a good balanced raw diet.
Raw feeding does not have to be balanced every day, this is where the good variety over a few weeks does it's job.
There are companies who make raw "Complete" mixes. Natures Menu is probably one of the easiest to get and can be found in many good pet stores with a freezer, (there are others too).

If you have not fed raw before do consider getting a little book called "Honey's Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs". If you register on the Honey's website you will be able to get this little book for FREE, they do not ask you to purchase their products!
The little book is easy to read and understand, (I love it).

Go easy on whole bones at first (give bone-on mince) as the dog's digestive juices need to build up a level of acidity to deal with them. Also introduce offal, particularly liver, gradually or you might get rear-end explosions:eek:

Thank you for your replies all your tips and advice are greatly appreciated

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back