The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Raw food/ weighing out/ storing?

Mum of Ted

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Morning all
Teddy is now 2 and half yrs old. Hes been on Durhams raw food for nearly 6 months after he began to skip meals on dry kibble..he loves his meal times now..we sometimes add veg if we've got it for our tea but mostly he just has his food.
So question 1.....he weighs 15.9 ( as of today!) and he calculates as needing approx 375kg a day...the packs are 545kg. We take them out the freezer and keep them in the fridge in a plastic box but have to weigh out each mealtime. We obviously because of the amount he needs have a left over amount each other day, so it gets added to the next frozen pack that comes out.
Is there a way of cutting it frozen and storing them so we have 375kg already and not having to weigh it each meal? He is due to go to a home boarder in 3 weeks and Im trying to make it easier for her, and us!
Question 2....what do you use to store the frozen packs in the fridge..we have a lunchbox but when we have a new frozen pack it sits with the already defrosted pack thats left over..
Am I complicating things?
I just want to be able to get it from the freezer as a weight that is already 180ish?
Advise please

Could you cut it frozen with an electric knife, or power tool?

We used to use durhams but changed to natures menu as the packs are smaller and easier ...it does keep a day or 2 once its defrosted....

I used to portion up blocks of frozen meat for my ferrets with a hammer and chisel, worked very well... though I do have a few chisel scars on my kitchen floor now! Oops!

It's fine to defrost it in the refrigerator to the point where you can cut it, then divide it and refreeze.

It's fine to defrost it in the refrigerator to the point where you can cut it, then divide it and refreeze.
I've discovered this since posting my thread today. This will make the process much easier and quicker.
Now trying to source some containers that won't take up too much space in freezer although thats not much of a problem as we have 2 freezers. Would you recommend plastic containers with a single portion in just thinking about reusing each time would be beneficial and save money rather than throw away bags

Yes, you could get some cheap plastic containers, like the ones takeaway Indians and Chinese tend to come in. Or just use this as an excuse to have a few more takeaways!

You could place the required weights in freezer bags.

You could place the required weights in freezer bags.
Really wanted to use something we could clean and reuse...found some small containers similar to the chinese takeaway ones and we've marked them all 'Teddy' so we don't mix them up with our ones. Have today, slightly defrosted some packs, weighed it out and they're back in the freezer! Job done!
Thanks for all the advise, it always comes in bucketloads whenever I've needed it for Teddy 🐕

Any new pics of Teddy?

Recent pics, we live by the sea and love a prom walk!

Attachments

• IMG-20231021-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20231021-WA0007.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 19
  • ea3e1380d82d731ce6307ab268a26fee.jpg
    ea3e1380d82d731ce6307ab268a26fee.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-20240502-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20240502-WA0006.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-20240518-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20240518-WA0014.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-20240509-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20240509-WA0003.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-20240625-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240625-WA0000.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-20240509-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20240509-WA0004.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 23
Wonderful, thank you! 😊

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back