The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Re-training

craftycarper

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Well while out with my three lurchers the other day they disappeared into the distance, in fact out of sight. Up till now i haven't had much of a problem with their recall, the two brothers who are just over a year had been fine, although my little bitch who is coming up to 3 yrs and is a rescue dog has done it once before after sighting a muntjac. I was worried sick i had lost the three of them, she took off first closely followed by the other two so it was naturally them giving chase and i presume if she hadn't taken off all would have been well, they ran to some distance, into a wood and in doing so flushed out a large herd of deer :( then gave chase. Eventually caught up with the brothers who came back to the whistle but she was gone. Got back onto the main field and i could see her in the distance more a less back where they had first bolted from. On getting i have noticed she has had a slight cough which is now easing off but also has ripped one of her dew claws clean out the pad , this is the only one she has by the way. Have cleaned the pad up and given it a puff of wound heal and her limp is starting to ease off, but not been out since, any advice would be welcome....by the way they are whippet x bedlingtons and she has a touch of collie in her as well....bloody frustrating

craftycarper said:
Well while out with my three lurchers the other day they disappeared into the distance, in fact out of sight. Up till now i haven't had much of a problem with their recall, the two brothers who are just over a year had been fine, although my little bitch who is coming up to 3 yrs and is a rescue dog has done it once before after sighting a muntjac. I was worried sick i had lost the three of them, she took off first closely followed by the other two so it was naturally them giving chase and i presume if she hadn't taken off all would have been well, they ran to some distance, into a wood and in doing so flushed out a large herd of deer :( then gave chase. Eventually caught up with the brothers who came back to the whistle but she was gone. Got back onto the main field and i could see her in the distance more a less back where they had first bolted from. On getting i have noticed she has had a slight cough which is now easing off but also has ripped one of her dew claws clean out the pad , this is the only one she has by the way. Have cleaned the pad up and given it a puff of wound heal and her limp is starting to ease off, but not been out since, any advice would be welcome....by the way they are whippet x bedlingtons and she has a touch of collie in her as well....bloody frustrating
Hi,

I have beddy cross,a whippet cross and a greyhound.The beddy cross is still stubborn at recall.The only thing that works with him is a bag of treats.But even then,if he gets wind of something,hes off,without a care in the world.Talking to a lot of people at Lurcher shows,the beddy crosses are known for there strong will,putting it politely!!I am just careful where i let spike off,not near roads etc.He is only 16 months,so he is still young.He is great in every other way.Afterall,they are bred for strong prey drive,so i suppose we can,t be surprised if they leg it after something.I have spent many a dog walk cursing under my breath when he clears off,but he always appears,looking very pleased with himself!!

Amandax :thumbsup:

finleyfoofoo said:
craftycarper said:
Hi,

I have beddy cross,a whippet cross and a greyhound.The beddy cross is still stubborn at recall.The only thing that works with him is a bag of treats.But even then,if he gets wind of something,hes off,without a care in the world.Talking to a lot of people at Lurcher shows,the beddy crosses are known for there strong will,putting it politely!!I am just careful where i let spike off,not near roads etc.He is only 16 months,so he is still young.He is great in every other way.Afterall,they are bred for strong prey drive,so i suppose we can,t be surprised if they leg it after something.I have spent many a dog walk cursing under my breath when he clears off,but he always appears,looking very pleased with himself!!

Same here, i am very careful where i take them, can't get them to my permission at the moment which is a bit of a drag as there are no other dog walkers which is usually the main problem at where i am taking them at the moment, if there are no deer in sight and no other dogs then they come off the lead. In fact i have lost count of how many times recently i have had dogs approach us and get quite shirty while the owner is just a blip on the horizon with not a care in the world, bloody annoying that :rant: :rant:

craftycarper said:
finleyfoofoo said:
craftycarper said:
Hi,

Same here, i am very careful where i take them, can't get them to my permission at the moment which is a bit of a drag as there are no other dog walkers which is usually the main problem at where i am taking them at the moment, if there are no deer in sight and no other dogs then they come off the lead. In fact i have lost count of how many times recently i have had dogs approach us and get quite shirty while the owner is just a blip on the horizon with not a care in the world, bloody annoying that :rant: :rant:

I know what you mean!!I am lucky,in that i have a few people that all meet and the dogs play together.If we go out and about,i can very rarely let the beddy off.

He shows us up.He is friendly as anything,but not very obedient.I love him to bits,but one beddy cross is enough.My hubby trains him with a lure,which lets him let off his head of steam.He seems to have boundless energy,or"tapped"as i often tell him!!If he thinks there is something worth hunting,then off he will go.Bet you could tear your hair out!!

Amandaxx

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back