The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Really smelly poos and farts.......yeah, sorry

Michele83

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all

I am going to take my 1-year-old whippet to the vets to rule out anything more serious, but I just wondered whether anyone had any advice on a dog with extremely smelly stool and flatulence. I realise both these things are always smelly no matter what, but I have a feeling my dog's are towards the more extreme end. Recently my friend actually threw up because my dog did a poo and she caught a whiff of it, and other people have commented also. I have to admit, of all the dog's I've known, her's are the stinkiest.

Worth noting that she herself does not smell at all, it's just her excretions. And she is very healthy apart from this, fur good, energy great, behaviour great, she's quite an easy puppy overall.

At the moment she is on Eden 80/20 dry food, which is very high quality. But I'm concerned the high quality might be what's causing the smelliness.

Any recommendations on foods that have made your dog's flatulence and stool easier to deal with?

Assuming there's no underlying health issues, DO consider a raw diet. I had this problem with my dog on any kibble, including Orijen. I put off going raw for ages, thinking it would be complicated and messy but when I did, his stinky farts were cured literally overnight. His poos hardly smell at all and it's amost a 'clean' sort of smell, as unlikely as that might seem.

Assuming there's no underlying health issues, DO consider a raw diet. I had this problem with my dog on any kibble, including Orijen. I put off going raw for ages, thinking it would be complicated and messy but when I did, his stinky farts were cured literally overnight. His poos hardly smell at all and it's amost a 'clean' sort of smell, as unlikely as that might seem.

Thanks Judy. What brand or method of feeding raw do you use? I know nothing about feeding raw.

I am concerned that the high protein content of my dog's food might have something to do with it, in which case I would think that raw food would have the same effect, but then again, I don't know what is actually causing it. I've heard whippets do have sensitive stomachs sometimes. I want to give her a good diet, but I'm also aware that a blander diet might not upset her stomach as much. It's hard to know what to do.

I think the quality of the protein is as important as the quantity, and the protein in a raw diet won't be a problem.

I use this company: Nurturing By Nature BARF Diet Raw Natural Dog Cat Pet Food I buy assorted minces (chicken & liver, duck, chicken & fish, etc.) and chicken carcasses (what is left of a chicken once the legs, head, breasts, wings etc. have been removed).

There are ready-mixed raw foods available, e.g. Natural Instinct: Raw Dog Food & Raw Cat Food in UK | Natural Instinct They make it easier, of course, but (a) they can work out more expensive, (b) you do really need to add some whole bones to benefit the teeth, and (c) they didn't agree with my dog's tum so well for some reason.

There's an excellent guide written by Honey's, and there's lots of advice on their website too: https://honeysrealdogfood.com/ Once you've got your head around it it really is straightforward - I just get a pack of mince and a carcasse out the freezer in the morning to thaw and give it to him in an old ice cream tub.

Have a read and a think, and come back with any questions and concerns - there's a few people here who can give you all the support you need :)

I think the quality of the protein is as important as the quantity, and the protein in a raw diet won't be a problem.

I use this company: Nurturing By Nature BARF Diet Raw Natural Dog Cat Pet Food I buy assorted minces (chicken & liver, duck, chicken & fish, etc.) and chicken carcasses (what is left of a chicken once the legs, head, breasts, wings etc. have been removed).

There are ready-mixed raw foods available, e.g. Natural Instinct: Raw Dog Food & Raw Cat Food in UK | Natural Instinct They make it easier, of course, but (a) they can work out more expensive, (b) you do really need to add some whole bones to benefit the teeth, and (c) they didn't agree with my dog's tum so well for some reason.

There's an excellent guide written by Honey's, and there's lots of advice on their website too: https://honeysrealdogfood.com/ Once you've got your head around it it really is straightforward - I just get a pack of mince and a carcasse out the freezer in the morning to thaw and give it to him in an old ice cream tub.

Have a read and a think, and come back with any questions and concerns - there's a few people here who can give you all the support you need :)

Thank you for this! Very helpful of you. I will definitely look into it.

Try probiotics- you can get them off the net and add to food- they change the gut bacteria to something healthier and maybe less smelly.

Try probiotics- you can get them off the net and add to food- they change the gut bacteria to something healthier and maybe less smelly.

That is a good idea, thank you. Yoghurt didn't work for me but I haven't tried the supplements.

When my whippets get a smelly belly I give pro kolin its brilliant or I add pumpkin into their meals it worked wonders on my Marley's colitis. I'm also in the middle of changing my boy's over to a different brand as the one their on just doesn't seem to agree with Rolo and the others get a stinky bum .

No stinky bums or poos here as we too feed raw ......its not as complicated as people say and for the health benefits worth it ...;)

Thanks both! I tried supplementing with sweet potato, which has lots of fibre, but that didn't work. I will look into pro kolin though!

As already mentioned by @JudyN and @Kara 1 . I have also fed raw for 40 years too.
Try a raw diet, there is Natures Menu which can be found in many pet stores freezers, it is convenient to use, clean with no mess or smell. Natures menu supply a good assortment of products , they also produce "complete" mixes.
As with which ever raw product you choose to try the poos will firm up and the horrible smell from the poo and farts will stop quiet quickly.
Green tripe although very smelly itself contains a lot of good bacteria and probiotic properties.
As mentioned by Judy, "Honey's Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs" can be obtained for FREE if you register with the "Honey's" website. This is a lovely little book which is easy to read and understand, a great help for both newbees and regular raw feeders.

Last edited:
As already mentioned by @JudyN and @Kara 1 . I have also fed raw for 40 years too.
Try a raw diet, there is Natures Menu which can be found in many pet stores freezers, it is convenient to use, clean with no mess or smell. Natures menu supply a good assortment of products , they also produce "complete" mixes.
As with which ever raw product you choose to try the poos will firm up and the horrible smell from the poo and farts will stop quiet quickly.
Green tripe although very smelly itself contains a lot of good bacteria and probiotic properties.
As mentioned by Judy, "Honey's Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs" can be obtained for FREE if you register with the "Honey's" website. This is a lovely little book which is easy to read and understand, a great help for both newbees and regular raw feeders.

Thanks this is really helpful.

What is a raw diet like in terms of cost, compared to a dry food diet? Dry food costs me about £27 per month at the moment (around 90p per day)

Thanks

It varies a lot, depending on where you source it. Jasper costs me about £2.50 a day but he's a big eater even for his size, and my supplier isn't the cheapest. I could cut it down a lot if I needed to. How much does your whippet weigh? Does she eat pretty much the recommended amount for her weight, or more or less?

It varies a lot, depending on where you source it. Jasper costs me about £2.50 a day but he's a big eater even for his size, and my supplier isn't the cheapest. I could cut it down a lot if I needed to. How much does your whippet weigh? Does she eat pretty much the recommended amount for her weight, or more or less?

She's 9.6kg, I feed her the recommended amount for a 10kg dog as well as a few of those small training treats, and a few bits of chicken in a puppy kong, and a dental stick. Basically she's getting a bit more than her recommended allowance because she doesn't ever put on any weight. I'm told she'll start filling out once she's an adult though. People who don't know how slight young whippets are can be very judgmental when we're out walking "Ooh, she's awfully thin...." etc. But I've seen pictures of her brothers and sisters and they are all exactly the same. Bones everywhere.

That happens a lot with naturally skinny dogs - people are used to seeing overweight dogs so a dog of a skinny breed who is at the low end of 'normal for breed' looks emaciated to some.

The standard guide for raw feeding is 2-3% of bodyweight a day so at 9.6 kg she should need between 192 and 288 grams a day. Call it 250g per day, just because you can get Natural Instinct packs that size, and it would be £1.13 a day for complete chicken, and £1.52 for lamb. But that would be doing it the lazy way - if you bought it in kilo packs and split them into four (it's fine to let raw food defrost a little to portion it up and then refreeze it), the chicken complete would just be 75p a day, chicken and lamb 96p.

Or looking at it another way, if I base it on what Jasper costs to feed... ooh, just 70p a day :) So you certainly don't have to worry about it being expensive.

Our lot are the working Cocker spaniel type.
Their weights vary between 10kg to 13kg maximum. I allow 1/2 lb each per day, some get under 1/2 lb others get a little over. Sometimes to bulk their meals they have raw vegetables or any wrinkly fruit. No treats are given. Dental sticks are of no use for dental care, a raw bone or chicken wing would be much better for her mouth and health.
@JudyN costings above are quiet fair but it is worth shopping around for products and prices.

By the way, if you do want to give treats (I use them a lot), it's fine to give kibble as treats while feeding a raw diet (some sources suggest you shouldn't mix them but I've never heard of a case where it's caused a problem). And you can still feed random leftovers if you do now.

Disclaimer - in a big dog with a metabilism I can only dream of, a few rubbish treats & leftovers aren't going to figure much. If you have a smaller dog, even tiny treats can add up to a significant percentage of the diet. Also, if you're looking to avoid wind, you might be best sticking to just dehydrated/cooked meat treats for a while and seeing what happens.

@Michele83 I wouldn't worry about what people say about her being thin, it took Oliver till he was 2 to fill out properly. Rolo is 1 next week hes nearly 13kg but his hips still stick out she'll fill out in her own time . Could the chicken upset her? All 3 off mine are allergic to chicken they use to get really soft poos and pumped all the time when I fed it just something to ask the vet :)

That happens a lot with naturally skinny dogs - people are used to seeing overweight dogs so a dog of a skinny breed who is at the low end of 'normal for breed' looks emaciated to some.

The standard guide for raw feeding is 2-3% of bodyweight a day so at 9.6 kg she should need between 192 and 288 grams a day. Call it 250g per day, just because you can get Natural Instinct packs that size, and it would be £1.13 a day for complete chicken, and £1.52 for lamb. But that would be doing it the lazy way - if you bought it in kilo packs and split them into four (it's fine to let raw food defrost a little to portion it up and then refreeze it), the chicken complete would just be 75p a day, chicken and lamb 96p.

Or looking at it another way, if I base it on what Jasper costs to feed... ooh, just 70p a day :) So you certainly don't have to worry about it being expensive.

Oh that's totally do-able then. Thanks so much for looking into it for me. It's looking like a realistic option. I might try just one more kibble, and if that doesn't work I will seriously consider this! Does it mean you need quite a lot of space in your freezer? Do you get them delivered?

Dental sticks are of no use for dental care

That's interesting, I've never looked into it so I just had a Google and it seems there is some debate. Perhaps I will stop using them.

Also, if you're looking to avoid wind, you might be best sticking to just dehydrated/cooked meat treats for a while and seeing what happens.

This might have been a factor. I don't give her loads of treats, but you're right about her size...it might be best for me to give chicken instead.

New@Michele83 I wouldn't worry about what people say about her being thin, it took Oliver till he was 2 to fill out properly. Rolo is 1 next week hes nearly 13kg but his hips still stick out she'll fill out in her own time . Could the chicken upset her? All 3 off mine are allergic to chicken they use to get really soft poos and pumped all the time when I fed it just something to ask the vet :)

Thank you, that's good to know! Yes it's the hip bones that make them look malnourished! Fortunately chicken seems to work well for her, the vet has instructed I give it to her on a couple of occasions when she's had an upset stomach from something else and the blandness of the chicken worked on her.

I get 40 day's worth of meat delivered at a time (actually I'd based my estimate on how much it costs to feed J on a calendar month so it works out a bit cheaper than I said above). It fills almost half of a fairly large chest freezer - for you, 40 days' worth would take up a bit less than a third of that.

The only reason it's 40 days at a time is that they sell their carcasses in boxes of 40 and I feed one a day. They're wonderful for teeth - J had a dental check when he was under sedation for something else recently and the vet said they were perfect, with just a few small bits of scale to chip off. Not bad for a 9-year-old

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back