The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Recall Training

jooley

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi If anyone remembers me,we adopted a dog from the dogs trust just after Xmas and wanted tips on what she may be? Well the vet has confirmed all you clever clogs out there, that she is part rough dauchund and something else terrier like!

anyway, she is simply gorgeous, we've not had too many poo/wee related incidents, quite amazing since she's lived her entire life outside!

Anyway, I am having a few problems recalling her, she comes to me indoors when i call, and mostly when she's in the garden, but outside is a problem.

She doesn't seem bothered about treats, so apart from lots of fuss when she does come back, i don't know what to do. Yesterday i really thought i'd lost her she was in the woods and went off on the scent of something and took ages to come back.

I want her to be able to go off the lead as when she's on the lead she is really afraid of other dogs, i suppose because she feels theres no escape.

Any tips anyone? :(

View attachment 26137

With Bradley I exercised him on a lunge rein and when I called him I reeled him in gave him a treat. He is now much better at coming back. I am sure you will let more advice from people here.

Treats are really the only thing that would work, you just need to find something that she is interested in. I use special beef jerkies made by a petshop owner not too far from here. I tried other beef jerkies bought elsewhere with less sucess. So try different products. It may also help if you do not feed her before you go for walk. All my dogs are excellent on recall, especially when they know i have jerkies in my pocket :) , but my puppy Genevieve (12weeks) also turns deaf when she is busy. I can see having a bit of a struggle ahead of me, and i can stop being smug about having Whippets absolutely perfect on recall :b

:luck: :luck: :luck:

At dog training they suggest running in the opposite direction to your dog and they assure us all that the dog will always follow! Have to say it does work, but it may be best to practise a recall on a long lead before hand as previously suggested. Have you tried ham as a treat? My lurcher pup was a little s*d to get in from the garden and would ignore any calls - however have now got him racing in for a piece of ham very time - his legs can't bring him in fast enough - its worked every time and now we have no probs whatsoever! Also, another sugegstion is that when out walking recall your dog and make a great fuss of her but don't put back on the lead - just keep recalling and making a fuss/treat as this way your dog will not think that every time you recall her she is going to be put back on her lead and therefore end her fun!

Why don't you invest in a FlexiLead. That way you will be able to let her wander freely and yet still have control. Much nicer than a lunge rein :(

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
EMILY said:
At dog training they suggest running in the opposite direction to your dog and they assure us all that the dog will always follow! 
They have obviously never met TJ then!! Once he gets into his doodle mode of meandering from one lot of sh*t to the next and troughing it .................... or his 'its bl**dy cold and home is this way' and he just goes!!!

I have tried a Flexi-lead on him but he just reckons he is on the lead so trots along beside me which I don't think of as a walk for him but he can be infuriating, especially in the morning when I am on a tight time schedule.

I always carry treats to recall my dogs and he is a greedy so-and-so but he is exasperating because if he doesn't want to do something the hearing gets very selective and I have found I can't frighten him into thinking he has been left!

dessie said:
EMILY said:
At dog training they suggest running in the opposite direction to your dog and they assure us all that the dog will always follow! 
They have obviously never met TJ then!! Once he gets into his doodle mode of meandering from one lot of sh*t to the next and troughing it .................... or his 'its bl**dy cold and home is this way' and he just goes!!!

I have tried a Flexi-lead on him but he just reckons he is on the lead so trots along beside me which I don't think of as a walk for him but he can be infuriating, especially in the morning when I am on a tight time schedule.

I always carry treats to recall my dogs and he is a greedy so-and-so but he is exasperating because if he doesn't want to do something the hearing gets very selective and I have found I can't frighten him into thinking he has been left!

They have us so well trained :lol: :lol:

Tesa said:
dessie said:
EMILY said:

They have us so well trained :lol: :lol:

How true is that! LOL! I resorted to bawling like a fishwife in French at him the other morning, he eventually decided to dawdle in the right direction (I had left him half a field away before I realised he wasn't with us) with the look on his face as much to say 'All right, all right keep your hair on' and then sprints the last 50 yards for his treat!! He knows EXACTLY what he is doing!!

It also amuses me that at dog training the dogs nearly always come back to their handlers in the recall just to show that they can do it and that what we were moaning about earlier to the trainer about our dogs not responding is completely untrue! I must look a right sight when recalling my dogs - jumping up and down waving my arms and shouting in a strange high pitched excited voice to gain their attention!

Sounds awfully familiar!!! LOL! A whistle does take a lot of that away though, I have found!

EMILY said:
It also amuses me that at dog training the dogs nearly always come back to their handlers in the recall just to show that they can do it and that what we were moaning about earlier to the trainer about our dogs not responding is completely untrue!  I must look a right sight when recalling my dogs - jumping up and down waving my arms and shouting in a strange high pitched excited voice to gain their attention!
In a training environment i am yet to see one dog that doesnt do it :- " Mind you i do the same with my 4 year old when he throws a paddy in the shops.

Also once your dog starts to come back to you you could try squatting on the floor at his level with your arms out, havent tried it but seen it done. Mine are pretty good at recall and unlike other dogs ive had they all seem to keep near to me and dont really like leaving me for too long :wub:

Also :- " give a whistle a try if all else fails, one of those that farmers use with their sheepdogs, i used one of those and you would be surprised how many dogs respond, other owners might not like you though :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try to go for walk with somebody who has an obedient dog; if the other dog comes she will also (most likely). :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back