The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Reccomendations

G

Goldens4ever

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

Im fascinated by dog body language and have also been learning how to train a dog. I mainly follow Victoria stilwell and have read all her books. ( im currently reading her puppy book)

Im going to do a lot of reading here on body language and training and socialization ect but i do prefer books is there any other book reccomendations any of you have for either body language or training.

Ive also read pippa mattisons labrador and puppy book

I haven't read it but I have seen recommendations for Lili Chin's book Doggie Language.

And you might want to check out material by Turid Rugaas.

I haven't read it but I have seen recommendations for Lili Chin's book Doggie Language.

And you might want to check out material by Turid Rugaas.

Thank you , I'll check them out

Susanne Clothier is worth looking at as well. Another vote for Lily Chin and also Emma Judson's Canine Consultant site, and Kikopup. This info is mostly internet rather than books - I prefer books too - but still worth perusing.

Susanne Clothier is worth looking at as well. Another vote for Lily Chin and also Emma Judson's Canine Consultant site, and Kikopup. This info is mostly internet rather than books - I prefer books too - but still worth perusing.

Thank you I'll check them all out

You also asked about training books. Going to suggest something a little different. That is study the underlying science too, but from the text books about the science of learning and behavior. There is well established science with decades of experiments in how to get behavior, how to maintain it, and how to change it and not all dog trainers understand or know that. No matter how good a trainer book is, there is always a chance a mistake slips in or a long held misunderstanding. By also studying closer to the "source", you will serve your future clients better than relying on others to "translate" for you via dog training books.

A good start is

Learning and Behavior 7th Edition
Paul Chance ISBN-10 1111832773 ISBN13 978-1111832773

The writing style and depth is very good for a introductory text book.

It is all the "rage" to say one is science based with their dog training. Excellent step forward....but now trainers have to back that up with action, not just words. A really good book to help you with what it means to be science based and/or evidence based is.

How to Think Straight About Psychology
Keith Stanovich ISBN-10 0134478622 ISBN-13 978-0134478623

It's not actually a Psychology book, but a book about what is science, what that means etc.

One of the best I have found is Norweigian dog trainer, educator, author is Turid Rugaas if you search online you will find her website and FB page

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back