The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Recommended to have my dog put down

billyfartpants

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

I have a 10 year old golden retriever called Samson, he has always suffered from stiff legs and has sometime developed a limp on his rear legs but they always seem to get better after a few days and then it can be months before it happens again.

anyway 2 days ago he was walking round the garden all absolutely normal no limping nothing, i let him out for his night time wee wee and noticed he could not put any weight on his rear right foot and was hovering it above the ground

while struggling to walk.

i inspected his foot and leg for any signs of what could be causing this moved his leg back and forth to see if this caused any pain but again nothing?

because he is struggling to walk on the limb i decided today to take him to the vets to see what could be done. On walking into the vets room she said straight away there are 2 options one is have him put to sleep the other is xrays and a very expensive hip operation, she had not even touched him or examined him at all.

i was told i could take him home for the night and bring him back tomorrow to be put to sleep she gave him a welfare pain relief injection and another injection for pain and he was put back into my car to take home for the night.

it might just be the pain relief but tonight he seems to be walking a little better on his legs the problem i have is i am reluctant to get my friend destroyed when this may just be a badly sprained muscle.

i am going to take him to another vet in the morning to get a second opinion can they really diagnose hip displacia just from looking at him from a distance?

he is my friend and i just want whats best for he even if that means being put to sleep.

any advice would be gratefully received.

stu

A second opinion at a different practice would be a good idea.

He is walking better because his pain is under control and it is not hurting when he walks!

I hope you make the right decision

Unless your vet is speaking from previous awareness of his condition, it sounds like a rather extreme suggestion and I agree with excuseme; a second opinion might offer alternatives. There are various medications and supplements that can help older dogs with aches and stiffness.

A vet giving a welfare pain relief injection sounds to me as though there may be an issue with the cost of treatment. If I am right and you are unable to afford to treat your dog's condition then euthanasia is your only other option. One thing is certain, you cannot do nothing.

thx for all the reply's, cost was always a issue as with any pet owner unless i have joined a forum full of multi millionaire? my grip with the vet was she didn't even examine him as i said in the original post!

i can afford to look after my pet and always have done, anyway i took him to see another vet this morning and she examined my pet thoroughly, there was nothing wrong with his legs or hips the problem was neurological and we decided to has him put to sleep.

i have also decided i will not be getting another dog as Samson was irreplaceable.

oh and yes i paid cash for all the treatment he received including the cremation and box he will be coming back in!

thx again all

So sorry to hear this. It must have been very difficult for you.

I do hope you did not take my comments as a criticism of you. You sound like a very caring owner and I am sure you did everything in your power to help your pet. I was just trying to explain why the vet behaved the way she did. She was probably avoiding racking up a bill for you when the outcome was an uncertain one.

Put my brindle down two weeks ago so I'm knowing how your feeling... Time will heal but memories always stay.. R.i.p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that Lurcherman. Still miss my brindle bull lurcher. Best dog I ever had.

They are all the best dog you will ever own. How can one be better than another, they are all different and all magical!

Juliatee

Julietee, can't agree with you, some dogs are a pain and some have no bond,, the brindle in my avatar had a very very special bond with me that you will never believe.

Really sorry if I upset you Lurcherman and I know what you mean about some having no bond. A friend of mine has a young collie that hasn't bonded with her and she is really upset because the dog loves the rest of us! She was very hard on her when she was a baby and gave her little affection wanting her to be the most obedient dog on the planet. Whether that is the reason we will never know.

All my dogs have been wonderful and I miss them all still as I can tell you still do.

Sorry,

Juliatee

Juliatee, you didn't upset me so don't worry,, just didn't agree a wee bit,, nice of you to say sorry thow but it wasn't needed x

Sorry to hear of your loss. I always hate having to make these decisions. I remember one particular lurcher of mine years back (also brindle) who had been rescued (broken teeth, stick thin, wandering the streets) She was older and an absolute wonderful dog. had her for a few years when out of nowhere something happened in her brain and she couldn't walk, was salivating, wetting herself.....I held her until she was gone (euthanasia) and it was just heart breaking. I do love all my dogs and don't have "favourites" as such but it is true that there are some you have a much stronger bond with....That lurcher was one and my little boy whippet I have now is another....Just something clicks with certain dogs that doesn't click with them all I think

thx for all the reply's, cost was always a issue as with any pet owner unless i have joined a forum full of multi millionaire? my grip with the vet was she didn't even examine him as i said in the original post!

i can afford to look after my pet and always have done, anyway i took him to see another vet this morning and she examined my pet thoroughly, there was nothing wrong with his legs or hips the problem was neurological and we decided to has him put to sleep.

i have also decided i will not be getting another dog as Samson was irreplaceable.

oh and yes i paid cash for all the treatment he received including the cremation and box he will be coming back in!

thx again all
Oh no.. sorry to read this :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back