The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Red spots from cuddles with my dog

Tom1992

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi guys,

So I have recently got a dog with my partner and every time we give her cuddles I especially come up with red spots on my arms and sometimes legs if she's touched them. My partner has also had some reaction, and she has also never had allergies to dogs.

I don't seem to get it on any other part of my body like me face. Just arms mainly and sometimes legs.

I have grown up with dogs my entire life so I'm hoping I'm not allergic. I don't have any other symptoms like sneezing or itchy eyes or breathing issues just these red spots. I have taken hayfever tablets and they seem to calm it down.

The only thing I have noticed is my dog seems to have flaky skin around her belly towards her back legs. She has up to date vaccines and flea treatments.

Cheers
20180712_210706.jpg

what country are U in, please?
I ask b/c those look more like insect bites than any sort of "allergy", which is typically more diffuse - flushing, etc; a reaction to dog-saliva when the dog LICKS the person is a welt where the tongue swiped.

Those look like flea-bites or possibly chiggers, which can come in riding the dog's coat & disperse.
- terry

The fact both you and your girlfriend are having a reaction points away from allergies. You said the dog was up to date with flea treatment but some treatments are less effective. That said, it isn't good for the dog to retreat too early. Do you know what was used?

No idea on the treatment she was given, I haven't seen any fleas about tho and I would have thought I'd have seen them on her coat or on us

I would have thought I'd have seen them

Not necessarily. Does she have any specks of dark grit in her coat, especially around the bottom of her back near her tail? If so, drop a few on wet white tissue or kitchen roll. If they sort of bleed out a reddy-brown colour then she likely has fleas - the grit is the faeces. If you do find that, I would contact the previous keeper and or vet to find out what was used and when. You may also have to treat your house and car - Indorex is good.

Not necessarily. Does she have any specks of dark grit in her coat, especially around the bottom of her back near her tail? If so, drop a few on wet white tissue or kitchen roll. If they sort of bleed out a reddy-brown colour then she likely has fleas - the grit is the faeces. If you do find that, I would contact the previous keeper and or vet to find out what was used and when. You may also have to treat your house and car - Indorex is good.

I'll try this when I get home. I have contacted the previous owner too to find out more.

No signs of this I just checked her then. I'll take her to the vets later they might be able to shed some light on it. I guess it's totally possible it's a allergy but I don't sneeze or itch

What did the vets say?
Wasn't able to go in the end, something came up with work... however my partner managed to get some tar and sulphur dog shampoo. So when I got home I gave her a good groom and the poor girl had lots of dry skin on her belly and back legs so I brushed it out as best as I could and washed her. Hopefully that helps her I'll monitor it for a few days and keep brushing her to help her oils and see if it helps stop my red spots

Mites? Dogs have a small population that can 'flower' if the dog is low or stressed. Not saying you are stressing your dog but it has had a change of owner and home and it can take a while for them to calm down and feel secure.

Mites? Dogs have a small population that can 'flower' if the dog is low or stressed. Not saying you are stressing your dog but it has had a change of owner and home and it can take a while for them to calm down and feel secure.

I'd agree with mites I'm going to take her into the vets for a skin scrape sample so they can tell me. I'm trying to clear up her dry skin right now with grooming and shampoos for it, I've also added salmon oil into her diet as I researched this helps with health skin and a healthy coat.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back