The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Red

olliedolly

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:)) hi im hoping to adopt a 2yr old red lurcher next week.

I would appreciate any tips, advice and help you experienced lurcher owners can give me. He was in a pound so theres no history on him unfortunately....

Hi Olliedolly

Welcome to K9.

I have two greyhounds so I'm not sure I can advise! How about getting a large cage/crate? This creates a safe den for your dog to hide in, and help you relax for a mo while he is safely tucked away. I found it very useful when introducing my 3rd greyhound, and had to house train. I was worn out trying to follow him everywhere, and mop up a puddle at the same time! He cocked his leg on the curtains but missed thank goodness.

I have heard that lurchers are much harder work than greyhounds! Good luck

Cerito

HI

I have a rescue lurcher(greyhound/saluki) from Sheya greyhound and lurcher rescue Manchester. We have had him 12 months now and he has been super, Not hard work at all like the previous post says.

Jake did mess in the house when we got him but verysoon learnt that outside was the place, No crate was needed just encouaragement and support to build up trust between everyone involved. We have now just adopted a whippet/saluki to keep him company, she is abit of a different story she has been neglected fairly badly so lots of TLC andtrust is needed.

Good luck you will really enjoy yourlurcher. Here is a few pics of Jake.

3974f75987c425cbfbd71144af737df1.JPG

54f6e5ee1d11ef107e457c1d4db94d6e.jpg

b6d22cc04dbed4086c52e711696d05eb.jpg

Milly our new baby!

39d66434d9b887ab202795e65715a583.jpg

And finally this is where theyalways seem to sneakoff too!

bfee2b5113cd0e055bc5085eef65935e.jpg

8beffb85c121841f91a2794af1266198.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Olliedolly, well done you :cheers: Hope all goes well. :luck:

Sure you'll get plenty good advice here - should you need it - who knows - may be all plain sailing :thumbsup:

The "Dog Listener" by Jan Fennel, books are pretty good with regard to dogs in general and any problems that arise taking on dogs with unknown history...might be worth a browse through them. Also hav'nt read "The House Lurcher" by Jackie Drakeford but apparently its very good...if you fancy having a look at it.

Keep us posted please on how you get on :thumbsup:

Hi Olliedollie,

Well done you! I'm told that a DAP diffuser helps nervous dogs settle in as it gives off the smell of lactating bitch pheremones which is very comforting. The crate can also help them find their own space in the house & give them security altho I haven't got one as I don't have the space. However if you have any small furries you may find it useful so they can get aquainted without danger. Another useful site for lurchery info is www.lurcher.org

Shaz your adopted hounds are beautiful and look like they have settled in brilliantly! Lovely pics.

Hi Olliedolly,

Welcome to K9, I havent got any advice for rescued dogs, but just wanted to say hi and post lots of pictures when he's settled in :thumbsup: :luck:

:huggles: Cheers Loopy! They make me very happy indeed. X

Loopy said:
Hi Olliedollie,Well done you! I'm told that a DAP diffuser helps nervous dogs settle in as it gives off the smell of lactating bitch pheremones which is very comforting. The crate can also help them find their own space in the house & give them security altho I haven't got one as I don't have the space. However if you have any small furries you may find it useful so they can get aquainted without danger. Another useful site for lurchery info is www.lurcher.org

Shaz your adopted hounds are beautiful and look like they have settled in brilliantly! Lovely pics.

Shaz said:
:huggles: Cheers Loopy! They make me very happy indeed. X

Shaz - THEY look very happy indeed! Love the pic with the snuggly warm coat on but they are all good. Happy lurchery days! I love mine too. x

OllieDollie those books Bappit recommended are supposed to be very good. You may find them 2nd hand on ebay if you're lucky. Lurchers tend to sleep a lot and I don't think they are any more difficult than any other dog as long as you don't mind the thieving! Altho mine have been quite good except tonight they helped themselves to the whole box of cat food sachets! I did manage to rescue most of them but expect they were hinting they wanted more grub. Altho they do have 3 meals a day +! Praps they don't consider the supermarket meat up to the standard of the meat I normally get from the butcher. Missed going on Saturday cos I was visiting friend in Cornwall. Looking forward to pics of your new friend!

PS Think the House Lurcher book is the best one to get your paws on if you can find it.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back