The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Regurgitation and Raw

FrankieDoodle

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Can I have some advice from any raw feeders please? thank you.

So last night and the night before Frankie was sick. It looked kind of similar to when a snake regurgitates a partially digested meal(pet snake) . What had me more worried/grossed out was he literally started to eat it again.

I think I got to excited by his improvement in body function (no longer pooping like a horse and even better he'd stopped eating it) maybe it was too much too soon?

What was it he'd eaten beforehand and how long before had he eaten it?

I don't think you need to worry. Dogs 'in the wild' would often bolt a meal, return to their den, regurgitate it and then chomp it up properly - or bring it up for their pups to eat. Jasper's done this a couple of times, I think when he's eaten too quickly. So you may want to think of ways to slow him down, e.g. spread it over a large plate, feeding it from kongs or whatever. If you're feeding bones, they should be big enough that he can't just swallow them straight down.

Fatty food can make a dog sick though, so if you fed duck (which is high in fat) or chicken with the skin on, that might be a factor.

Obviously if he keeps being sick, goes off his food or isn't his normal self, then you'll need to reconsider the cause.

]

Okay, let me rephrase it then. When most dogs are sick they will want to eat to get the pain/discomfort to ease off.

Just some quick questions: Have you changed his diet recently? Does he eat grass? Does he show anxiety towards food/when you go near the bowl does he eat rapidly etc.?

Well in my household its normal for dogs to eat after being sick @JoanneF but obviously every dog is different. if you are worried contact your vet @FrankieDoodle its vital you do because something could be wrong with your dogs stomach and intestines.

Some mothers Regurgitate food for their puppies, this is a perfectly natural process. Some dogs will eat and clear up when they have been sick or regurgitated themselves, I usually leave them alone to clear up their own mess if I know what they may have recently eaten. Don't panic too much, it may not be what we are used to seeing, but our dogs do some perfectly foul things, and this is one of them.
I would not expect this to happen every day for a long while though.

One of our lot once helped herself to a big load of butchers waste that was very fatty! She didn't sick it up but OMG!! she did have a very large tummy, and some very smelly farts, phew!!:eek::eek::eek:

Some mothers Regurgitate food for their puppies, this is a perfectly natural process. Some dogs will eat and clear up when they have been sick or regurgitated themselves, I usually leave them alone to clear up their own mess if I know what they may have recently eaten. Don't panic too much, it may not be what we are used to seeing, but our dogs do some perfectly foul things, and this is one of them.

One of our lot once helped herself to a big load of butchers waste that was very fatty! She didn't sick it up but OMG!! she did have a very large tummy, and some very smelly farts, phew!!:eek::eek::eek:
Olive does this with the puppies.

Jasper once had duck two days running and threw up in his muzzle. It was absolutely disgusting as it dripped through the holes but to him it was just a convenient, if leaky, nosebag:confused:

@excuseme and @JudyN are raw feeders and may be able to help. There are of course others but these two check in regularly.

Thank you :)

What was it he'd eaten beforehand and how long before had he eaten it?

I don't think you need to worry. Dogs 'in the wild' would often bolt a meal, return to their den, regurgitate it and then chomp it up properly - or bring it up for their pups to eat. Jasper's done this a couple of times, I think when he's eaten too quickly. So you may want to think of ways to slow him down, e.g. spread it over a large plate, feeding it from kongs or whatever. If you're feeding bones, they should be big enough that he can't just swallow them straight down.

Fatty food can make a dog sick though, so if you fed duck (which is high in fat) or chicken with the skin on, that might be a factor.

Obviously if he keeps being sick, goes off his food or isn't his normal self, then you'll need to reconsider the cause.

Thank you. I've think you've answered my problem.

I gave him about 4 of the "Natures Menu Country Venison Nuggets' mixed in with his normal food. It was his second meal of the day and he was sick maybe 40-50 minutes after, the night before must've been around midnight as he wasn't settling and was whining to go out. However. Over the two days he had about 8 chicken wings. I think we ended up playing each other ! He's quite food oriented so i tried to use this to my advantage, he exploited my eagerness to train him to get more chicken wings out of meo_O . We've got a puppy Kong and one of those anti bloat bowls as he used to eat ridiculously fast.

]

Okay, let me rephrase it then. When most dogs are sick they will want to eat to get the pain/discomfort to ease off.

Just some quick questions: Have you changed his diet recently? Does he eat grass? Does he show anxiety towards food/when you go near the bowl does he eat rapidly etc.?

Well in my household its normal for dogs to eat after being sick @JoanneF but obviously every dog is different. if you are worried contact your vet @FrankieDoodle its vital you do because something could be wrong with your dogs stomach and intestines.

Thank you. We have changed his diet yes. He doesn't eat grass no. He was a bit aggressive on one occasion when I went to go near his bowl but he's hasn't done it since. I'm not really worried per se as he is still eating and running around as normal.

Thank you. Has helped to ease the worry now I've gotten a few responses about it being perfectly normal. Will leave him to it. II haven't fed him any raw meat today and he's been perfectly fine.

Ha! I don't think anything can shock me since i caught him munching on and eating his poo.

Hopefully, avoiding too much food and too much fat will fix the problem:) You could try skinning the chicken wings in future and if you think he might swallow them whole, I believe you can bash them with a mallet first to break up the bones.

If he's showing the slightest sign of food guarding, I'd leave him well alone while he eats. Even if he's not guarding per se, he might still feel a little uneasy if you're hanging around while he has the BEST FOOD EVER;)

Hopefully, avoiding too much food and too much fat will fix the problem:) You could try skinning the chicken wings in future and if you think he might swallow them whole, I believe you can bash them with a mallet first to break up the bones.

If he's showing the slightest sign of food guarding, I'd leave him well alone while he eats. Even if he's not guarding per se, he might still feel a little uneasy if you're hanging around while he has the BEST FOOD EVER;)
:) i am starting olive with raw will i also need to bash the bones?

I've no experience of feeding smaller dogs (and don't feed wings to Jasper because of their size), but have had a quick look round the internet - a lot of people start off either by bashing the bones, or holding the chicken wing so the dog gets the hang of chewing it. If you started off doing either of them - or both - you'd soon get a feel for whether she's likely to gulp it down if left to her own devices.

I've no experience of feeding smaller dogs (and don't feed wings to Jasper because of their size), but have had a quick look round the internet - a lot of people start off either by bashing the bones, or holding the chicken wing so the dog gets the hang of chewing it. If you started off doing either of them - or both - you'd soon get a feel for whether she's likely to gulp it down if left to her own devices.
Ok thanks! :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back