The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Rescue A Greyhound Any Advice Please!!!

Painted Lady

tattoo luvver
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi have two whippets aged 11 months and 8 months and I would like to rescue a greyhound but wish to find out more before I go ahead. I have five young kids and as we all know the whippets are excellent with them! Any advice would be appreciated. I really want to rescue a dog now ( whippets being the obvious choice) but with the awful story in press recently about ex racing greyhounds I feel torn between both breeds. Thanks

find urchin on here she knows of one and has full history to the dog :thumbsup:

greyhounds (in my experience!) are more laid back than whippets - and make equally fantastice sofa ornaments! they are great for running around and stretching your whippets legs for them too!

i've had ex racers before and really didn't notice any real difference between a grey settling into a family life, and any other rescue dog doing the same! as with any rescue, there's a huge range of circumstances that they are coming from - from dogs which have had very little 'nice' contact with people, to dogs that have been treated very well indeed.

One thing that people have often remarked on, is that for dogs who have had little chance to play as puppies - they can do the whole 'puppy' thing a few months after you get them home! so you get a 3yr old 'puppy' charging round and playing with everything! but they do grow up again.

given the HUGE number of greyhounds always looking for good homes vs the relatively few whippies, my guess is you'll have your new friend a lot quicker if you plump for a grey! :wub:

Greyhounds make excellent pets with children... i have 4 at home with 3 kids... no problems, the kids love the dogs & the dogs love the kids... greyhounds settle in a routine very quickly ( speaking from my experiences ), there are so many ex racers out there all waiting for that special loving home you'll be spoilt for choice if you do choice to adopt one...

Good luck... let us know what you decide... :luck:

One things for sure , you will never regret getting an ex racer , Go for it . I had 4 until they died of old age , 16,14 and 2 at 12 years :(

they, IMO are far more `laid back` than whippets .

JAX said:
One things for sure , you will never regret getting an ex racer , Go for it . I had 4 until they died of old age , 16,14 and 2 at 12 years  :( they, IMO are far more `laid back` than whippets .

Thanx for replies! I contacted local rescue centre and they are sending me information pack out. Kids will be over the moon if I go ahead and get one (w00t) Will let you know how I get on.

sarahloveland said:
Thanx for replies! I contacted local rescue centre and they are sending me information pack out. Kids will be over the moon if I go ahead and get one  (w00t)   Will let you know how I get on.

They try so hard just to please you, you wont regret it.

it'll be so nice to be kept updated...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back