The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Rescue Beagle - one year later - maybe would like a friend?

LeanneBeats

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone
So we rescued a 7/8 year old beagle almost a year ago, and even though he has come on leaps and bounds, he still seems fairly shut off/bored/depressed.
All we know of his history is that he was a stud dog and came from a puppy farm before being rehomed to us. He is an angel - no resource guarding, no aggression, no destructive behaviours. On the flip side, he isn't really interested in playing, people or other dogs. He has warmed up to us thoroughly, love his belly rubs and attention, loves his walks and LOVES his food - of course.
Me and my partner both work from home full time most of the time, so he's never really alone but is fine with being left alone for a few hours - doesn't howl or chew etc. But we are now beginning to wonder whether he would like a little dog friend? He doesn't seem that interested in other dogs, in fact he is kind of wary of them especially if they are a bit full on! I don't think he's ever learnt to play or be a 'dog' with other dogs.
I've read in places that for a rehomed stud dog or nervous rescues that getting another dog can be really good for them - so i'm basically after some thoughts/advice about this. I was thinking well maybe we could Foster to begin with, in case it doesn't go well, or even use something like Borrowmydoggy to pair him up with some relaxed easy going dogs.
But basically we want our boy as happy as can be, but as we don't have access to any other dogs, we're not entirely sure whether another dog for company is what he wants/would be good for him. So i'm after any suggestions or thoughts at all on this. Thank you so much in advance!

Not all dogs like other dogs, but I think fostering sounds like a great idea. If he warms to the foster dog, fantastic. If not, at least the fostered dog has had a nice loving home for a while.

Beagles are very much like sighthounds where they prefer their own breed ....maybe an idea to foster another beagle.....

I've got a rescue foxhound and she fits in superbly with my Labradors. She's very, very foody and her recall is non-existent, but very gentle. The only specific rescue for foxhounds (and similar) in the UK is Foxhound Welfare UK, they are always looking for foster homes and permanent homes.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back