The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Rescue Puppy That Doesn't Want To Go For Walks

marlon80

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

I have a 9 month old old english sheepdog puppy which I rescued in june, he is great, very lovable, fantastic with the kids so very happy with him. however, he refuses to go for walks and hates going in the car.

I thought he would eventually grow out of this with lots of love and patience but no such luck. He is very happy playing in the garden and fortunatly we have a big garden but I would love to take him for walks.

As soon as I get his lead he will hide, if I get him to go outside he will just lie down and not move at all. there is no use to try with treats because he doesn't want them.

Also going in the car is a nightmare as he will just dribble and throw up. it is a shame because we have always taken our dogs on holiday but it just isn't fair on him. When I have taken him in a car I make sure we go somewhere fun for him trying to associate car with fun but still after 6 months no such luck.

Please help.

Thank you for reading this and any tips or comments I am happy to try anything.

Thank you

Maria

Hello Maria, welcome to Dog Forum!

My dog is the same in the car - our dog trainer suggested no food for at least 2 hours before and one of the herbal stress things you can buy over the counter.

Like you - I am just reluctant to keep trying, there is only so much sick you can clear up

the first thing I'd do is houseline him. A lightweight lead worn trailing, and work up from that to trailing a proper lead, occasionally picking it up and letting it go with no fuss

I'd leave the car thing until the weather gets better. Begin feeding him near the car, progressing to feeding him in the car, then adding turning the engine on and straight off, then moving it two foot and stopping, then driving round the corner, getting out and walking home... a process which you should expect to take weeks or months, so don't rush it or you'll be right back at square 1

I hope that's of some help :)

do retrieval training in the garden with a lead. It was how i began with our spaniel. He had been a stud dog in a puppy farm so all he had seen was a 4x4 cell. It took a while and 4 years down the line I can walk him in woods but wide open spaces still stress him out.

Keep going as it is so rewarding when they finally trust you not to leave them somewhere.

the first thing I'd do is houseline him. A lightweight lead worn trailing, and work up from that to trailing a proper lead, occasionally picking it up and letting it go with no fuss

I'd leave the car thing until the weather gets better. Begin feeding him near the car, progressing to feeding him in the car, then adding turning the engine on and straight off, then moving it two foot and stopping, then driving round the corner, getting out and walking home... a process which you should expect to take weeks or months, so don't rush it or you'll be right back at square 1

I hope that's of some help :)
^^^What she says :)

There's no easy answer to this and it's important to recognise that most of the memories and experiences that affect a dog's approach to so many of what we would consider normal are formed during the first few months in life, so even a 6 month old puppy is likely to have missed the window to make these things easy and natural.

Just because they aren't easy and natural doesn't mean that they aren't worth working on though.

Hi,

I have a 9 month old old english sheepdog puppy which I rescued in june, he is great, very lovable, fantastic with the kids so very happy with him. however, he refuses to go for walks and hates going in the car.

I thought he would eventually grow out of this with lots of love and patience but no such luck. He is very happy playing in the garden and fortunatly we have a big garden but I would love to take him for walks.

As soon as I get his lead he will hide, if I get him to go outside he will just lie down and not move at all. there is no use to try with treats because he doesn't want them.

Also going in the car is a nightmare as he will just dribble and throw up. it is a shame because we have always taken our dogs on holiday but it just isn't fair on him. When I have taken him in a car I make sure we go somewhere fun for him trying to associate car with fun but still after 6 months no such luck.

Please help.

Thank you for reading this and any tips or comments I am happy to try anything.

Thank you

Maria
Walk him with some cooked chicken or sausage in your pocket, give him a piece every so often. Start with small distances and build it up.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back