The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Retracting Testicles

Innerpeace

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My fiance and I were given a dog last year. He is half chow, half black lab(Myles). Apparently he was abused and then left behind when the family he lived with moved. It has taken a long time to get him to open up and be relaxed. He still kind of tucks tail when you get on to him for not listening, but he is a very sweet mannered and well behaved dog. We wouldn't give him up for anything. We love all of our little pets. We already had a lab, shepard mix(Lucy). The two of them get along really well, actually he has calmed her down tremendously. Lucy is 3, Myles is 4. Now to my question.

Myles still has not been neutered and I have never had to deal with a male dog who wan't neutered before. He has recently started acting hurt, and when we check on him his testacles are retracted. I don't know why and I am not sure what to do for him shy of taking him to the vet and spending money we don't have right now. If anyone has had problems with this before, or a suggestion, I would greatly appreciate it.

Stephen and Kate

Wellcome to k9 Stephen and Kate. If Myles is in pain I would take him straight to the vet.

good luck

As Tanyia has said if he is in pain then take him to see the vet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Were his testicles always retracted? I don't know what is happening if a normal male suddenly retracts testicles. But if the testicles were not descended and they are causing pain it could be a dangerous situation for the dog, such as torsion in the cord, or a testicle obstructing a ureter (connection between kidney and bladder); I read in another forum about a dog needing to be operated on because of that happening. Anyway, I agree it sounds like he should see a vet sooner than later.

Are you in the UK? Maybe there is a PDSA clinic near you (Peoples Dispensary for Sick Animals) or a vet school and you might get price reduction. Maybe you can get him neutered cheaply (I know the Dogs Trust has schemes to encourage neutering). It sounds like neutering may be medically advised in this case and since the subsidy schemes also cover spaying, the cost should not be more for a cryptorchid dog than for a dog with normal testicles. By the way, I've been looking into a pet health insurance policy for my own dog and I read in the small print that the insurance would not cover conditions that occur as a consequence of cryptorchidism.

please do get back to us and let us know what was wrong and how it was treated

I hope things work out well for you and the dog

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back