The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Retriever won’t retrieve!

PBK

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Any tips on how to get a golden retriever to bring the ball back? He loves playing fetch but as soon as he gets the ball he loses interest in it, drops it and waits until I pick it up and throw it again. Or keeps hold of it and wants me to chase after him to get it.

Oh dear what a nightmare!
Don't pick it up yourself and throw it again, he is just teaching you to play he game his way !
Try turning and walking in the opposite direction and let him carry it for a little while, don't try to snatch it from him too quickly and let him enjoy the importance of carrying it or holding it.
Can you find some local gun dog training classes to join, you may get some useful help.

Reactions: PBK
Do you reward hime for bringing back the ball and giving it to you, like a swap?

Reactions: PBK
I think I'd start by teaching him to give you something when he's right in front of you (when he has something in his mouth, teach him to exchange it for a treat), then to increase the distance. A 'drop' into your hand could work, unless you particularly want him to hold the item in his mouth and present it to you till you take it.

I also would comment that “keep away” is a fabulously self rewarding game that dogs go nuts for so I would strongly discourage chasing him to get the ball back.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back