The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Reverse sneezing

Cash_Dolly

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 6 year old whippet has always been prone to reverse sneezing, particularly at this time of year. He goes through spells of it being really bad and then it disappears for a while. I tend to massage his throat to ease it and that helps.

He has been having a wee bout of it for the last fortnight so I took him to the vet yesterday. I had absolutely no thoughts that it was anything worse than his usual reverse sneezing but wanted to see if there was anything I could do to ease it or if she could pin it down to hayfever or anything and I said as much when I got into the vets.

We came away with an anti inflammatory to soothe his throat and advocate which he was due anyway (though a 4 weekly dose to rule out lungworm) though her suggestion was getting an x ray on his throat to make sure there is nothing lodged there. I wasn't keen on the idea as I don't like to put them under general anaesthetic unless necessary, though if I need to do this then of course I will always do what's best for the dog.

Ever since she has suggested it yesterday though I have been worried sick convincing myself that there is something in his throat and I am going to need to get him x-rayed and operated on. Absolutely NOTHING would have made me think this before and I did stress to the vet that he is prone to the sneezing and goes through regular bouts and that I actually did think I was being a bit precious in taking him to the vet to start with. She didn't seem too interested in that though. So what started as a minor thing now I am thinking I need to get second opinions etc!

Does anyone else's dog suffer from reverse sneezing? cash always seems to get it at this time of year and it is particularly bad if he has been running (so I have been keeping him on the lead the last 2 weeks) or when we go out first thing in the Morning which I put down to the sudden change in temperature. He is otherwise his usual cheeky energetic self. He is eating as normal (still trying to steal food too) playing with his toys, wanting to run around etc etc nothing else is ringing any alarm bells. Has anyone had any experience of mistaking usual reverse sneezing for something more sinister? It isn't constant he can go hours absolutely fine then has a wee bout of it? I'd appreciate any help/experience from others.

I would go to a different practice and get a second opinion.

It could be just a vet trying to make some money out of you too. Beware !!

This is what I was thinking. There is one vet at the practice who seems a bit more realistic and not so much to get money from you but this vet always feels a bit pushier.....Cost me almost £100 yesterday which I don't grudge at all if its what he needs but I do grudge it if it's unneccesary. I am off work tomorrow so will try another practice for 2nd opinion

What about honey or yoghurt to soothe his throat a little?

I'm never very sure if people mean the same thing by reverse sneezing. I think it would be useful if you could record what he's actually doing on your phone so you can show it to the vet.

We had a whippet who developed allergies which presented with sneezing and snot running down her nose also with reverse sneezing. It seemed to be seasonal but we also couldn't use anything highly scented in the house,like scented candles or strong smelling disinfectant. She also couldn't cope with the smoke from the open fire. When it was bad she was treated with steroids which helped.

I think if he had something stuck in his throat etc. He would cough or make a wretching noise. Usually if it's their throat then when the vet squeezes it they will cough.

I would absolutely take a second opinion and not proceed with anything that makes you feel uneasy.

I have found that at our vet practice treatment protocols can vary wildly from one vet to the next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to jump in on this, but I've never heard of it! Our dog occasioanlly makes this weird snorting noise, he'll do it about 6 or 8 times or so in quick sucession and I don't really know what it is, so I just gently tap and rub his back until he's finished. He doesn't seemed stressed by it (we are though because we don't know if this is normal behaviour!) and just back to whatever he was doing before, usually having a kip. Is this reverse sneezing?

Could be. There are some YouTube videos I think (whatever did we do without it?)

Thanks all

I took him to another vet last week and she felt his throat all felt normal etc but he is definitely phlemy. I didn't say in my earlier post that I suspected he had kennel cough over the last fortnight too. The other vet thought it was more hayfever type thing so gave us piriton and said to continue with the loxycom also. She reckons there is a possibility he could have a secondary infection from KC but didn't think he required anti biotics at this stage, though to take him back after 10 days if it doesn't clear up. He is also to rest as he is worse after running or getting excited. He is definitely still doing it but think it is improving! They are a worry!

Relieved to hear things are looking up. I have successfully treated kennel cough with Dorwest's garlic and fenugreek tablets in the past and I would recommend them, especially when the vet is reluctant to give antibiotics yet.

Thanks dogmatize I'll try that. I have never heard of it. Is it available at pet shops?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back