The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

rocco one for the ladies

dean1963

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi we have got a french bull dog that was suppose to be 2 yrs old according to the advert we took him on and according to his paper work he is kc reg , microchipped , and with petlog , and 3 yrs 4 months old ,but allthough we took him to the vets for 1st health check at new vets the old vet will not release any info allthough we have all his documents , we have contacted the old owner about this issue but so far nothing has been passed to new vets is there anything else we can do about this problem as we dont know if he is allergic to anything or if he was on any meds for pre existing condition thanks for your advice
IMG_20191202_160826.jpg

Attachments

• rocco.jpg
    rocco.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 184
You might be able to get some support from trading standards, as the description of the dog you bought wasn't accurate.

If you bought him from freeads like gumtree or pets website you wont have any come back ....
I would be very suspicious why the old vets will not release his previous information unless this vet doesnt exist ...sadly this happens alot .....
People have been known to use other dogs paperwork to sell another dog ....

thanks for your replys we did get him online so now the advert has been taken off , the vets where he was does and still exists all though we have contacted them and so has his new vets they will not say anything about the dog down to gpr , all though yes we have all paper work for him we have contacted eg: kennel club , microchip central , petlog and yes the info matches but we have no real info on the dog him self which it might make it harder to get him insurance so at the moment we are not sure what to do , we have tried to contact old owner and old vets about the history so far no response

I would say his previous owners have not given permission for his records to be disclosed. ..did they give a reason why they were selling him ....
Did your vet think he was in good health ...

His eyes look good (not too protruding ) and his nostrils look a good size from pics (not pinched in )
We rescued a french bull dog many years ago (i adored her ) she came with an eye ulcer and other health issues. ..the insurance was so expensive and that was before the breed became so popular ...when we rescued her it was the first frenchie i had seen ...although i loved her i dont think i would be tempted to get another unless i went to a reputable breeder and i always rescue so would be put of the question. ...did your vet check his ears etc ...they can suffer with ear problems

hi we think the last owners are hiding something not sure what or why , the last owner said it was a sad sale due to having cancer and problems with husband in hospital , all though our vets has passed him with good health as he was vet checked on friday 06 12 2019 , he did have a bit of muck in his ears which was cleaned at the time he has got a bit of pink skin around his nose area and was advised to use hibiscrub for 1 week , after we bought him we made arrangements to pick up his paper work the next day the owner was not there so we took him to be microchipped check the chip was local but out vets said the address was not when i spoke to kennel club amd microchip central they advised me that the vets did not knopw what they say was talking about and that they have not had any bad reports about the last owners as breeders or microchippers since we have got him all his details are in our name but vets wont say about his history

All of our dogs are rescue and apart from one there was no history. ..we had always insured with petplan and never had any problems over in case of pre existing conditions ....
The pink skin could be an allergy .....
I must say in my opinion and working with rescues for over 30 yrs i have never known a good KC breeder to advertise via online freeads ...

Enjoy your boy and hope he remains healthy ....
Diet is also something to look at to keep him in tip top condition

hi we did look at petplan at a cost of £114 a month , our vet did think allergy but with out records unsure what to give him , when we got him the old owners said he was been fed on whole chicken wings including bone , raw beef , and royal canin dry food , our vets said no chicken or beef , according kennel club etc they said no problems have been reported

Mine have raw tripe , raw lamb mince and offal ...for dogs with allergies raw is amazing ...
Try not to use diffuser air freshners around the house ....

And yes frenchies are very expensive to insure because of the many health issues they can have ...if he is going to be an offlead dog make sure you have third party liability insurance in case he caused an accident ....
Re the Kennel club they would only have information if someone had reported the breeders ....
Some old school french bulldog breeders dont agree with the different colours the breeders are pushing out now. ..

hi thanks for your replys we dont use diffuser air freshners around the house , our vets advice was to use dry food only but it seems everyone has there own opinion , we have noticed that everyone is asking what sort of dog is he due to his colour and eyebrows , we are thinking about pet insurance but we are unsure of past history and concerned it would cause a problem , we have said to our vet that he seems to be gassy but vet said about his diet and change of ownership would affect him in this way , he seems to be unsure where he wants to sleep sofa,chair, floor, human bed, he does sore alot and quite loud , as he is 3 yrs and 4 months according to paperwork his weight is 19.25 or around 3 stone in weight is this ok for him as he seems to think he is a lapdog and when he lays down he looks like a frog

That's very heavy for a Frenchie! From what I've read online males should be 10-13kg. Of course, he could just be particularly large Frenchie. If you can post clear pictures from the side of him standing, and looking straight down on his back from above, we might be able to judge.

Bear in mind that vets have relatively little training in nutrition, and some of that comes from commercial pet food manufacturers. I'm another raw-feeding fan.

That seems quite heavy and yes frenchies snore and fart alot ..vets would advise dry food as they make alot of money selling it ....royal canin isnt good food ....
Yes the frog dog position is normal. ...
Dont let him near water as they are top heavy they cant swim very well ....
The proper colours for a frenchie is fawn ...pied (black and white ) and brindle ....the other colours get a kc reg but i dont think they can be shown ....
Make sure you keep his folds of skin around his face clean and dry ...i used to put a small blob of vaseline on my finger once a week and put between the folds of skin as this can harbour bacteria and yeast infections ..
It may pay you to get a good book on frenchies ...;)

Regards to pet insurance you definitely need at least 3rd party liability insurance ive got mine with PDSA £7.59 a month for £2,000 accident cover for the dog and cover if they cause an accident ....
You may want to put a monthly sum away just in case he needs anything. ......re broken leg can be up to £6,000....:eek::eek::eek:
Some need operations to help them breath easily. ..up to £2,500 ...that is why so many end up in rescue ....
If he is 19 kg i would definitely get his weight down as this will affect his legs and his breathing

You can also get 3rd party liability from the Dogs Trust for £25 a year - but that doesn't cover vet fees if your dog is in an accident.

vets would advise dry food as they make alot of money selling it ....royal canin isnt good food ...
This, absolutely. Vets are poorly trained in nutrition. If you are interested in food, look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) out of 100. You can set filters for your dog's breed, weight, age etc. and for your daily budget; then you can add in any specific needs you have such as aiming for weight loss or avoiding specific ingredients. The website will automatically show the foods listed in order of what the assessors believe is best quality, and it also will show daily feeding cost (calculated from your dog's age and weight) so you can see what gives you best value for money. It has its limitations but it's a decent place to start.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back