The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

RSPCA neutering policy

Tinytom

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I was pleased to see on our local RSPCA homing website that they are now holding off of neutering large male dogs until they are at least 2 years old ....then the adoptees can take the dog back to them to be neutered at no extra charge ..they charge £180 for adoption which I think is so cheap ....
I am sure alot of our rescue dogs behaviour problems stemmed from them being neutered too early...:eek:

That's very good news, and nice that they help with the cost too.

That's very good to hear - there are certainly behavioural and physical problems that can stem from early neutering. I'd like to see that applied to all dogs, not just large ones.
It has become a complete orthodoxy, yet it isn't right for every dog.

The local RSPCA franchise to me has a contract with a local vets, they neuter all male puppies at 8 weeks or as soon as they are signed over if older, regardless of size. A recent litter of GSD crosses born in their kennels were castrated at 8 weeks & spayed at 10 weeks. Absolutely disgusting, the veterinarian practice involved has an in house"behaviourist" whose solution for all behavioural issues is immediate neutering.
I know this because I contacted the behaviourist to verify to his for myself. I was told in no uncertain terms that neutering was the only"treatment", so when I informed them her had already been prepubescently castrated at 16 weeks, they could only offer a lifetime drug regime. I wasn't lying one of my rescues had behavioural issues when I got him, however they were caused by him being castrated at 16 weeks, not cured by it. Good job I am a force free reward based clicker trainer & with a lot of patience & help, managed to alter his behaviours & gave me control over his reactivities.

The local RSPCA franchise to me has a contract with a local vets, they neuter all male puppies at 8 weeks or as soon as they are signed over if older, regardless of size. A recent litter of GSD crosses born in their kennels were castrated at 8 weeks & spayed at 10 weeks. Absolutely disgusting, the veterinarian practice involved has an in house"behaviourist" whose solution for all behavioural issues is immediate neutering.
I know this because I contacted the behaviourist to verify to his for myself. I was told in no uncertain terms that neutering was the only"treatment", so when I informed them her had already been prepubescently castrated at 16 weeks, they could only offer a lifetime drug regime. I wasn't lying one of my rescues had behavioural issues when I got him, however they were caused by him being castrated at 16 weeks, not cured by it. Good job I am a force free reward based clicker trainer & with a lot of patience & help, managed to alter his behaviours & gave me control over his reactivities.
You would expect a vet to know that the only thing that is affected by a dog possessing functioning sex organs is his or her sexual behaviour, and nothing else. That's appalling practice.
I have been very fortunate in that all the dogs who have shared my life have been entire, even though they have all been from shelters. That seems increasingly unlikely these days, which is very sad.

Neutering isn't guaranteed to stop sexual behaviours, the only thing it 100%stops(eventually for males)is being able to procreate. Castration doesn't immediately make a male completely infertile nor does it stop males mating entire in season females.

So true. After a disastrous spaying (my poor bitch became incontinent) I have never had a dog of either gender neutered ( and NEVER had any problems from it). That horrible incident sent me on a lot of research, but I'd have given anything to have been able to turn back time and not do it. I can see the RSPCA's point, though, as so many people are utterly clueless and don't even notice when their bitch is in season. And as you say, CoCo - even vets aren't aware that a castrated dog can still mate and tie. While there won't be any pups, there is still risk of infection, and bigger risk if owners don't know about the tie.

Not at the franchise nearest me, I checked you cannot buy a puppy from them under 10 weeks for males & 12 weeks for bitches, as they need to recover from being neutered & all puppies now cost £200+ regardless of whether they are mongrels or pedigree breeds. Strangely they don't neuter all the kittens before selling, but do offer slightly cheaper neutering at the vets they have a partnership with

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back