The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Rules Of Showing

melanie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
as you know im new to showing and i was wondering if someone wouldnt mind taking five mins to explain a few things to me :wacko:

first how do you get points and how do they work? how do you qualify for crufts and when do you have to qualify by? also how is a ch made up? i know these sound like silly questions but i really want to get out and show my dogs this year and i would like to have some idea what im doing :lol: and i thought where better to ask then here :D

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

mel

melanie said:
as you know im new to showing and i was wondering if someone wouldnt mind taking five mins to explain a few things to me :wacko:
first how do you get points and how do they work? how do you qualify for crufts and when do you have to qualify by? also how is a ch made up? i know these sound like silly questions but i really want to get out and show my dogs this year and i would like to have some idea what im doing :lol:   and i thought where better to ask then here :D

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

mel

Hello Mel and Welcome to the wonder of the Showring,

First of all we must have a KC registered Whippet befor we go on. All show's put out a Schedule in advance that you must fill in with all the details of your dog and send back to the show Secretary with the appropriate fee's. There are different types of shows, open show, champ show (all breeds) and breed shows both open and Champ. To qualify for Crufts you must come 1st 2nd or 3rd in Puppy,Junior,Post grad, Limit, and Open in a Champ show that gives CC's Licensed by the KC. To make a Champion up one must win 3 CC's under 3 different Judges at 3 different Champ Shows. Try and talk to the breeder who sold you your pup and as many folks as you can. Please don't go to a show and expect to know everything,talk to folks and if you can join a ringcraft club that meets on a weekly basis and you will find people falling over backwards to help you. Hope I have helped in a small way. It is more complex than I have spoken as I have just tipped the Iceberg so to speak. Good luck

Mike :clown:

A good book that might help

Good Showing: The New Exhibitor's Guide to Dog Showing and the Showring

Peggy Grayson

I know we have it at........ Pets at Home :thumbsup: Also available on Amazon.

In Whippets you also qualify for Crufts with a 1st 2nd or 3rd in yearling class at Champ shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yearling is also a qualfing class,Qualification for Crufts runs from Jan 1st to Dec 31st each year

To get a Challenge Certificate , you must first win your class :p , and then compete for best of sex , only then will you get a Challenge Certificate , we also call them `tickets :wacko: dont ask me why ;)

As whippets are a large entry breeed , if you are placed in the first 3 in Limit or open you also qualify for the `Stud book `, This gets you a stud book number for your dog and it also qualifys it for Crufts for life . Obtaining a Junior Warrent as Libbee did :cheers: also gives you a Stud Book number .

Also Minor Puppy is a qualfing class :oops: I think the KC are going to have Veteran as a qualfing class soon too :huggles:

thanks for that everyone :thumbsup:

will look for that book tomorrow millie :thumbsup:

JAX said:
Also Minor Puppy is a qualfing class  :oops:   I think the KC are going to have Veteran as a qualfing class soon too  :huggles:

Veteran does qualify now, but I think only 1st prize. (Both my veterans have stud book numbers, so I didn't really pay attention! :D )

Wow thanks for all that info guys, loads of stuff there I didnt know :b

Hi Vanna, thought you had left us :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back