The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Saving lives or prolonging suffering for veterinary profits?

Discussion in 'General Dog Forum' started by pippywhippet, Jul 9, 2013.

1. pippywhippet

pippywhippet New Member Registered

Just read this article and have to say it rang alarm bells when I read it. Some of this is so very sad and true.

A few years ago I asked the vet to put to sleep my elderly Ridgeback who had Laryngeal Paralysis. She had nearly died of inhalation pneumonia (a side effect of the paralysis) and could no longer enjoy walks or eat her food without choking.

I was made to feel that I was a "bad" owner when I opted to have her PTS rather than have expensive tie back surgery (which I understood was not only painful, but which often tore open again) I chose NOT to have the surgery, preferring to save my lovely girl from more pain. :'(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1232217/Why-Im-ashamed-vet-shocking-expose-profession-puts-pets-painful-unnecessary-treatments-fleece-trusting-owners.html

Interested to hear what others experiences have been.

2. TTT

TTT New Member Registered

In my opinion, as responsible pet owners, we must do what is in the best interest of our dogs. That includes knowing when to respectfully 'call it a day'.

3. lurcherman

lurcherman Well-Known Member Registered

Pets come first at all times in my book simple as that...those who prolong life when its had its time need the jab themselves

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
  4. pippywhippet

pippywhippet New Member Registered

Mine too, but it seems some vets are making huge profits on treating sick animals who might be better off being PTS :ermm: