The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Saying Goodbye

Sue Jordan

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just before Christmas I unfortunately had to say goodbye to my Yorkshire Terrier /Jack Russel cross..my beloved pet Fern , my best friend of 15 years, my cheeky girl who had so much character..and absolutely broke my heart. She was deaf , had cataracts , and dementia but amazingly coped,.. for a while!. She paced a lot , got stuck in corners , she was always going in and out of the doors, she would forget we had let her out then she would want to come in again then as soon as she was in she would want to be back out! She became obsessed with food ..like a demon! Barked at everything and of course we couldn't placate her being like she was and she would have us up half the night wanting to go out,, me and my husband would take turns , But I always said whilst I could still see my dog (my girl) still there then I would keep her with me, she would still throw her chew around in the morning and play with it just like she always used to and I thought yes Ferns still there. However, she deteriorated, stopped eating , was drinking excessively, weeing in the house and was pacing constantly and whining, we took her to the vets who suspected she had kidney failure and along with her other problems my vet asked me if I thought she had had enough... Saying goodbye was one of the hardest things i've ever had to do, she had been my little side kick every day for fifteen years! I wondered if I had let her go too long or too soon! I was beside myself. I told my husband that I never wanted to go through that again ...Ever! ….I miss her everyday! The house is so empty.
Soo...its been about 5 weeks and the house is still empty ...very empty , and after much deliberation and struggling with the guilt of getting a new dog,which I do , I feel guilty about it like im being disloyal somehow to Fern. We have decided to get a puppy! There's a big dog shaped hole in our family's heart and although Fern god bless her can never and will never be replaced ( she was one of a kind) as dog lovers we feel we have so much to offer another puppy dog. We will be picking him up in 3 weeks time when he will be 10 weeks old. A boy this time , a beautiful Blue Whippet who will be called Blu...ill keep you posted about the new addition

RIP Ferny

Attachments

• _20190320_090826 (1).JPG
    _20190320_090826 (1).JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 145
It breaks our heart when they go, the greater the love ; the bigger the pain. Blu will never replace Fern but I'm sure he will - ahem - focus you on new challenges. In the best possible ways.

When you feel able, please share photos and stories about both of them.

Your love shines through your post so much, @Sue Jordan. RIP Fern, and I look forward to seeing puppy photos soon!

Sorry to hear about your loss.
RIP fern x
Good luck with your new addition.
We have a blue parti colour whippet called Marley he was nearly called blue!

Thanks everyone, I know this little fella will keep us busy when he arrives. Its going to be a long three weeks wait! @Whippylove perhaps you can give me some advice :) , amazing you were thinking of the name Blue too! The breeder sent me a pic and update of his progress, he's now 7 weeks. Apparently he wouldn't keep still and is a bit of a wiggler lol but here he is.

Attachments

• Blu 6 weeks old_Fotor.jpg
    Blu 6 weeks old_Fotor.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 151
Just before Christmas I unfortunately had to say goodbye to my Yorkshire Terrier /Jack Russel cross..my beloved pet Fern , my best friend of 15 years, my cheeky girl who had so much character..and absolutely broke my heart. She was deaf , had cataracts , and dementia but amazingly coped,.. for a while!. She paced a lot , got stuck in corners , she was always going in and out of the doors, she would forget we had let her out then she would want to come in again then as soon as she was in she would want to be back out! She became obsessed with food ..like a demon! Barked at everything and of course we couldn't placate her being like she was and she would have us up half the night wanting to go out,, me and my husband would take turns , But I always said whilst I could still see my dog (my girl) still there then I would keep her with me, she would still throw her chew around in the morning and play with it just like she always used to and I thought yes Ferns still there. However, she deteriorated, stopped eating , was drinking excessively, weeing in the house and was pacing constantly and whining, we took her to the vets who suspected she had kidney failure and along with her other problems my vet asked me if I thought she had had enough... Saying goodbye was one of the hardest things i've ever had to do, she had been my little side kick every day for fifteen years! I wondered if I had let her go too long or too soon! I was beside myself. I told my husband that I never wanted to go through that again ...Ever! ….I miss her everyday! The house is so empty.
Soo...its been about 5 weeks and the house is still empty ...very empty , and after much deliberation and struggling with the guilt of getting a new dog,which I do , I feel guilty about it like im being disloyal somehow to Fern. We have decided to get a puppy! There's a big dog shaped hole in our family's heart and although Fern god bless her can never and will never be replaced ( she was one of a kind) as dog lovers we feel we have so much to offer another puppy dog. We will be picking him up in 3 weeks time when he will be 10 weeks old. A boy this time , a beautiful Blue Whippet who will be called Blu...ill keep you posted about the new addition

RIP Ferny
Sorry to hear about your little one....they do break our hearts when they've gone. And I'm sure most of us have felt that bit of guilt when the new one comes into our lives, it is totally normal feeling. I even felt it when we had another addition to the family rather than after loosing one. Just because we have so much love to give, it doesn't take it away or make us forget when some other dog is on the receiving end.
I bet even your home is still empty, there is little tickling excitement rumbling in your tummy and can't wait for the 3 weeks to pass on. Enjoy the feeling...it will help you to heal. Carry on remembering your Fern and laugh the things your double act did get up to , so when the Blue comes you are ready to give all the love it deserves.

He's gorgeous :) the name fits him perfectly.
I love my whippets such loving hounds. I'm here if you want advice.

Aww.. Thank you all... We're picking him up valentines weekend so I'll post some more piccys then

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back