The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Scary few minutes...

JudyN

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
A couple of nights back, I'd gone up to bed to read before OH came up as usual, with Jasper on his bed next to ours. He was very quiet, but then I heard a lot of smacking of lips. He stood up and gave me a funny look... and he had foam round his mouth and a blob of it on his nose:eek:

He went downstairs and into the garden and wasn't actively foaming/lip-smacking any more so I fired up my laptop to look up 'symptoms of poisoning' and 'causes of foaming at the mouth'. Meanwhile, OH looked on the carpet round Jasper's bed, and found a wet patch and what I think was a slightly chewed tick.

Panic over. Either the tick had attached itself to his lip, or he'd somehow got it in his mouth, it didn't taste good, and he couldn't spit it out easily.

Phew!!:D

Oh gosh they do like to worry us!! There wasn't any blood about then?

Those pesky ticks :emoji_angry::emoji_angry:

Nope, no blood, though the carpet's red, and the light wasn't good enough to notice if the froth was at all pinkish.

I've found a few ticks that must have attached themselves, drunk their fill and then fallen off, despite his Seresto collar. But to be fair, he's had fewer ticks over the whole summer so far than he used to get on one day before we used the collar.

The Seresto collars have been brilliant with the ticks this year, husband has found a couple of weak/sickly attached ticks that have almost fallen of when touched.It's the fleas the collars were not getting rid of on our lot. Our vet prescribed "Activvl" for the fleas. We are now flea free for the first time this summer!:)

The only time I had problems with fleas on Jasper was when I let the cat's flea treatment lapse and he got them - according to the vet it's quite common that the cat is the susceptible one and once he's got them, some move out and take up residence on the dog.

They do like to scare us don't they. The chances of me spotting a tick on Harri's thick black wiry coat are very small unless they attach to his lower tummy area where the coverage is a bit less dense. I haven't seen any yet on him. Whether there is still some Bravecto at work or whether my neem oil based repellent is working I don't know. I'm now testing my repellent on a friends dog who seems to attract ticks. If it keeps them off her then it's doing a good job!

I'm also relying on keeping the cat's spot on flea treatment up to date to stop the dog picking any up. It seems to be working as there are no sign of fleas.

That must have been scary, I'm guessing a vet checked him over or is he much better now? That must have been really awful to see :(

There was no need to go to the vet - the internet confirmed that there are several causes of foaming at the mouth, including dental problems and stress so the chewed tick made sense (it doesn't take much to stress him!), and the foaming stopped more or less straight away. We kept an eye on him after to make sure there weren't any other symptoms but he was fine:)

He looked a bit like he'd been chewing on a bar of soap and decided he didn't like it:D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back