The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

scavanging and poo eating

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Oh by the way, when our daughter was a tiny tot, we had our guinea pigs freely running around our safely fenced garden. My husband one day caught her picking up and eating the liquorice allsorts that were to be found all around the garden.:eek:

Eeeeeewww!!!:confused:

Jasper loved 'bunny kibble'. It never seemed to cause a problem, but then he was able to eat all sorts of disgusting things with no ill effects, and dogs to vary in this regard.

Eeeeeewww!!!:confused:

Jasper loved 'bunny kibble'. It never seemed to cause a problem, but then he was able to eat all sorts of disgusting things with no ill effects, and dogs to vary in this regard.
Had obviously survived boarding school food….

I must say that the most horrible school dinners I had ever had was at the Convent of Notre Dame near Cobham, Oh yuk! I do feel sorry for the poor borders. Luckily I was a day pupil.

I must say that the most horrible school dinners I had ever had was at the Convent of Notre Dame near Cobham, Oh yuk! I do feel sorry for the poor borders. Luckily I was a day pupil.
Yes, I remember those girls. Our sixth form at Weybridge was mixed with the young ladies from St. Maur’s - what fun, even as a boarder!

Also, rabbits only part digest their food on the first eating, they then eat the semi digested poo to finish off the process.

Ah you've got to love a good poo conversation on a Sunday morning!:D:D:D

I have a collective word for my dogs that eat poo, they are all 'poovers':cool::D and I'm quite happy when my lot only hoover up the rabbit poo, that's a good day!

Help!
I have resorted to keeping my dog on lead due to poo eating and scavanging. The poo eating started this year and am hoping by not allowing it (difficult ) that it will just be a phase.He is coming up 2years. What else can l do? He has always picked up stuff on the street, especially plastic but will usually drop for a treat. This seems to be slowly improving. Just feel so mean for not letting him run.

Help!
I have resorted to keeping my dog on lead due to poo eating and scavanging. The poo eating started this year and am hoping by not allowing it (difficult ) that it will just be a phase.He is coming up 2years. What else can l do? He has always picked up stuff on the street, especially plastic but will usually drop for a treat. This seems to be slowly improving. Just feel so mean for not letting him run.
Hi luv I feel for you my Frenchie used to do it when she was young but doesn't now but as soon as they've been to the loo I pick it straight up. I had a German shepherd who would do it occasionally but I didn't give her the chance to do it it's a nasty habit I hope you get it sorted. Michelle

Hi luv I feel for you my Frenchie used to do it when she was young but doesn't now but as soon as they've been to the loo I pick it straight up. I had a German shepherd who would do it occasionally but I didn't give her the chance to do it it's a nasty habit I hope you get it sorted. Michelle
Yes that's strange she would eat Pepe s poo but not her own and they are fed the same. Strange. Lol

Not that strange. Sometimes there is a territorial aspect to it, so in such cases, it makes sense to eat other dogs' poo but not their own.

Thanks
I hope it gets sorted out!
He is away for the weekend with me so l was tempted to let him have a run on the beach which was looked fairly safe.
He was hesitant but soon found his confidence...and promptly found some poo to eat. I must admit it upset me...worrying that he'd get ill again. So frustrating.
He is trialing a grain free diet which he seems ok on with a little pineapple every other day. His poo is firm but rather large for a small dog! Of course..that might be the side dishes!
At least he is leaving his own alone.

Hi For anyone having the same issue.
Just an update on my poo eating and scavenging 2 year old. It has improved somewhat. I have used a longline and tried to praise him for leaving, cleared up promptly and add a slice of courgette to his food which possibly helps. Still working on a better leave and drop it. I have just started him wearing a basketville muzzle. This makes treating him harder but is possible. He was allowed off lead wearing it for the first time today. He did stick his nose in some poo. He cheekily looked my way but as I just called "This way!", left it. I was very relieved that his recall hadn't completely gone. The almost 7 months recalling on a longline has helped. Still early days to see how effective the muzzle is and how he copes with meeting other dogs but at least it is an option now. Now if only can break his obsession with chewing hard plastic and berry eating!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back