The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

School holidays have put my puppy out of routine

lynyona

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I look after my nephew in the six weeks holidays and for a couple of hours after school in term time now him and Betty don't mix he s a wuss if she jumps up or comes near him he jumps around like a lunatic and of course she thinks he s playing so the first couple of days I was pulling my hair out. So to be fair to Betty and to my nephew decided it was best to look after him at his house Betty isn't alone my husband and my sons are her with her. So my day goes up washed dressed take Betty for her walk home for mine and her breakfast out he house at 25 past 8 back home at 5.Betty seems to have turned into a sulky child she just does things and destroys things like its punishment for me not being here . Last week also confused her because my nephew went on holiday so I was home all week even though I spent it decorating again Sulky naughty Betty. Now she isn't ignored or left alone she is played with etc while I am out , But its like she s on a mission to see how much mischief she can get into in 1 day . Yesterday evening we went in the garden to play as we usually do after tea with her flirt pole she loves it we usually stay out until she gets fed up with it ..We come in she gets in her bed thought she was asleep looks down she had chewed the zip of her bed cushion and pulled all the stuffing out I should have known she was being to quiet. Please tell me that after the school holidays she will get back to some normality . I do feel for her as its not her fault bless her and I know she still only a baby. I've got her kong out to see if that will keep her occupied. In all honesty I maybe should have said I couldn't have my nephew but they've got no one else to have him as my mum and my sister in laws mum are getting on and childcare is so expensive

Do you think your husband and sons are giving her the sort of attention that you would? What was she like before if you went out for a while?

Bear in mind that she's not being 'naughty', trying to punish you or sulking - she is simply anxious about the change in routine. Kongs are a great idea, and make sure she doesn't pick up on any stress you might feel about leaving her during the day, or you'll create a vicious circle. Maybe your husband sons could do more with her - mental games might tire her out and help her relax as much as exercise, and if they involve tasty treats she'll feel happier about being looked after by them.

Then again, how old is she now? Could she be teething, which would explain chewing on things? Or she could be just building up to adolescence...

Do you think your husband and sons are giving her the sort of attention that you would? What was she like before if you went out for a while?

Bear in mind that she's not being 'naughty', trying to punish you or sulking - she is simply anxious about the change in routine. Kongs are a great idea, and make sure she doesn't pick up on any stress you might feel about leaving her during the day, or you'll create a vicious circle. Maybe your husband sons could do more with her - mental games might tire her out and help her relax as much as exercise, and if they involve tasty treats she'll feel happier about being looked after by them.

Then again, how old is she now? Could she be teething, which would explain chewing on things? Or she could be just building up to adolescence...

If I shut the back door then go out to the shop she will bark and whine but if I just leave the back door open and just go she is fine. She s 6 months now ..on a funny note ...one night last week I had just finished my tea and she was waiting to go out and play she put her paws on the computer tower on off button and closed it down as if she was saying you will go outside with me NOW!!!!! lol

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back