The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Scrumpy The Dog Is Changing Colour

J.T.

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Over the last few weeks I've noticed that the skin under scrumpys front legs is going a lot darker. It's normally a pinky/brown but is turning dark grey/black.

It is also changing in her groin area, along her legs & now along her chest too.

It looks like bruising under the skin but is very evenly spread out, not in patches like you'd expect a bruise to be.

She does charge around in the undergrowth a lot & gets scratches & little cuts on her thin skin quite a lot.

Has anyone else known anything like this happen to a dog? she is booked in at the vets on Thursday but I just thought I'd ask on here as well.

She has also been nibbling at herself & scratching. There is no sign of fleas but she does have a few dry looking patches on her tummy. I've put aloe vera on these & they seem to be getting better.

It's all a bit odd

Sounds like she is getting her summer pigment, mine have bits of skin that goes darker and Dylan my white and blue boy developes dark spots all over his body!!!!!

Mine too - quite normal :thumbsup: I'm not so keen on it on the fawns, as sometimes it can look like bruising when they have raced - but my little white one looks beautiful, as the dark pigment round her eyes goes darker, and I'm so jealous of her perfect eyeliner :teehee:

aaaaarrgghh will one of you please post pictures, I can't bear it when you tell us things but don't show pictures!!! :lol: :lol:

I want to seeeeee!!!!

:b

Woody is quite spotty under his fur and looks like a dalmation when wet. :lol:

Taz, my fawn lurcher, has pink skin in winter but it gets really dark in summer, I put it down to his love of sunbathing bringing out the melanin in his skin. It seems quite normal but it makes him look a bit tatty as the dark skin shows through his coat on his flanks and legs.

There are a few medical conditions such as Cushings that can affect the skin pigment, though, so if you are worried and she's never darkened up in the summer before it's worth getting her looked at to put your mind at rest, but I'm sure it will be nothing to worry about :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
dana is the same, is is pretty in pink all winter and . i wouldnt worrie hunnylooks like she needs a damn good scrub in summer

dana is the same, is is pretty in pink all winter and looks like she needs a damn good scrub in summer

:b :b Oooohhhh now I feel a bit silly. She does love to sunbathe & is always lying in the garden when it's sunny. It never occurred to me she was topping up her tan :lol:

having said that tho, she is nearly 4 and I've not noticed this happen any other year..................or maybe we just didn't get any sun.

So it looks as tho I'll be wasting my time & money going to the vet then :angry:

:b :b Oooohhhh now I feel a bit silly. She does love to sunbathe & is always lying in the garden when it's sunny. It never occurred to me she was topping up her tan :lol: having said that tho, she is nearly 4 and I've not noticed this happen any other year..................or maybe we just didn't get any sun.

So it looks as tho I'll be wasting my time & money going to the vet then :angry:

Dont feel silly, you know your own dog, I had the same thing and mine has turned out to have a problem , if you havnt noticed before then it could be something else, so I would have her checked , dont dismiss things as the norm, they may be normal for other peoples dogs which is fine but may be a sign of something else in yours Jan x

Thanks,

Yes, I'm still taking her to the vets anyway. My main worry was it could be something to do with her blood.

She's a funny little dog, quite nervy & will just take herself off into another room or into the garden & just stand there staring at the floor :( looking really miserable so it may be as well to have her checked out just in case.

I'll let you know how we get on. Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing ;)

I took Scrumpy to the vet yesterday and luckily there doesn't seem to be anything much wrong with her :D The pigment change is partly due to the sun but also she has an allergy to something...possibly grass :eek: Oh Joy, this is a dog who spends most of the summer outside either in a field at shows or lying on the grass or haring about in the long meadow. A grass allergy is not good :angry:

Anyway she's on 3 piriton a day now for a week & see if the scratching & nibbling at herself stops. If not then it'll be back to the vets for some medicated shampoo. If nothing else it'll get rid of the pong from whatever it was she rolled in this morning, she's obviously not allergic to fox poo :lol:

I took Scrumpy to the vet yesterday and luckily there doesn't seem to be anything much wrong with her :D The pigment change is partly due to the sun but also she has an allergy to something...possibly grass :eek: Oh Joy, this is a dog who spends most of the summer outside either in a field at shows or lying on the grass or haring about in the long meadow. A grass allergy is not good :angry: Anyway she's on 3 piriton a day now for a week & see if the scratching & nibbling at herself stops. If not then it'll be back to the vets for some medicated shampoo. If nothing else it'll get rid of the pong from whatever it was she rolled in this morning, she's obviously not allergic to fox poo :lol:

Glad its nothing too serious, shampoo wont work for an allergy but might just keep her smelling sweet Jan x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back