The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Second Whippet - Bitch Or Dog??

debbsi

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

New to this wonderful site.

We rehomed (or rescued more like) our lovely fawn and white whippet dog Bailey last year and he has settled in very well. Needless to say as whippets are so addictive - we are thinking of adding a whippet pup to our home.

Has anyone any advice - should we get a bitch or dog??

Thanks

Deb

HI AND WELCOME TO K9, I WOULD GET ANOTHER DOG AS IF YOU GET A BITCH IT CAN BE A NIGHTMARE WHEN THE BITCH GOES IN SEASON, THE MALE TENDS TO HOWL AND WILL DO ALMOST ANYTHING TO GET TO HER, HOPE THAT HELPS, WELL DONE FOR RE-HOMING A WHIPPET THEY ARE THE BEST, EMMA

Welcome to k9 - it is a great forum - if you've been reading for a while you will already know that we are going to start nagging for pictures of Bailey :D

Oh how exciting, the decision to get number two!

there are all sorts of gender combinations on this forum, some with a house full of boys others with Girls, and many mixed households too - although you do have the obvious problems with mixed if you have entire girls and boys together.

I have a bitch and intend to get her another female companion one day...

It will depend on the temperment of Bailey, your preferences and your set up really, but whippets being the amazing beed that they are seem to get along in most situations

Good Luck...and PICTURES!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hi

Thanks for the advice. Bailey has a lovely temperament and gets on very well with my friends older whippet dog, we met up with some friends yesterday who have a female whippet and lets just say Bailey liked her very much - if you get my drift!!

I thought we would be better with a dog but was concerned how the pup would be when the hormones start to flow - dont want a fight!

Would it make any difference to getting a bitch if we had Bailey neutered - or are they still randy??!! lol

Thanks again - I will have to post some photos then x

Well I've just attempted to add a signature with Bailey in it - lets see if its worked!

Deb

Having had a mixed household when we had plenty of differents rooms to be able to separate the in season girls, I would recommend you have a same sex household. It really does make life easier on all concerned.

Whippets are not fighters normally and as long as YOU are top dog it will remain that way.

We became a mixed household in November(family bereavement) which is working out ok, only because 5 out of the 6 girls have been spayed.

Hi Deb,

Welcome to K9 :)

We got our first whippet Harry who is now 6 two years ago. He is a full male but VERY laid back. We got our second whippet Cilla who is 3 a year later as a companion for Harry. Her previous owner very kindly said we could return her if things didn't work out as she only wanted a good home for her to go to :)

Has it happened Cilla settled in from day one and Harry fully accepted her. We did however get Cilla spayed later on.

We also looked after a 2 year old full male called Blue for a month before we got Cilla, Harry did get along with him, they snuggled up together :huggles: but Blue had a tendency to be possessive over his food.

Good luck in finding your 2nd whippet

Cant wait to see the pics x

HiNew to this wonderful site.

We rehomed (or rescued more like) our lovely fawn and white whippet dog Bailey last year and he has settled in very well. Needless to say as whippets are so addictive - we are thinking of adding a whippet pup to our home.

Thanks

Deb
Hi also new to this site, not quite sure if I am answering the correct person, but if you are interested I am rehoming my 10month old whippet as I rescued him and already have 3 other dogs he is loving, gentle, and extremly pretty brindle and white, he has also been castrated, free to a 5* home if you are interested please contact me

regards

judy

I have 5 bitches and just the one dog :eek:

It was a complete nightmare when the girls came in season last year - at the same time (w00t) My boy, Irie, was only around 7 months old but he turned in a nymphomaniac and was totally out of control resulting in him having to go and stay with my very helpful friend until the girls were well out of season!

I have now had him neutered and there have been no problems at all. In fact it has made him a much nicer dog and his character has now developed in the best possible way :thumbsup:

I would recommend staying as a single sex household but if you do decide on a little girl then it would be sensible to have both Bailey and your new pup "done" to avoid complications in the future :D

Good luck with your decision :luck: ................ I started with one whippet too :lol:

HiNew to this wonderful site.

Thanks

Deb
Hi also new to this site, not quite sure if I am answering the correct person, but if you are interested I am rehoming my 10month old whippet as I rescued him and already have 3 other dogs he is loving, gentle, and extremly pretty brindle and white, he has also been castrated, free to a 5* home if you are interested please contact me

regards

judy

Hi Judy, it might be worth making a new post in the Rehoming section of the site :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back