The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Seizure...stroke....or over anxious dog mum?

Mayasmum

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, sorry to jump in with a health question. I have a lovely healthy 6 yr old lab, although She has had two cancers removed. We watch her all the time for suggestions of it coming back. Tonight she gave me a real fright. She stood up facing me and her left side looked odd. Her front paw was stretched out to its fullest and her rear leg, although standing on it was strtched out too. I called her and she couldn't bend her leg, she fell over and as I went to her, she began to shake but her eyes and mouth were fine. She seemed frightened but she could easily have been picking up on my worry. This went on for about a minute, maybe less. I asked my hubs to go get her a treat knowing that if she was able to, she would jump up for that. She did get up and was very aware he had a treat but was wobbling all over the place, her left legs were just not her own. I went to call the vet because I was sure something was wrong but my hubs said she just had a cramp. Over the next minute or so, she seemed to come back to herself and now seems her normal self. Hubs thinks I am being over zealous wanting her seen by a vet (she is terrified of vet....really terrified.)
I know no one here can take the place of a vet but has anyones dog had anything similar?
She is in her basket now like nothing happened!

I would monitor her overnight and call your vet in the morning. Hindsight is an exact science but it might have helped if you had taken a video. If it does happen again, try to do that. Also contact her breeder, there might be a history in her breeding line? Hopefully it will be a one-off but maybe make a,quick diary of everything you did today so if it happens again you can look for patterns.

It could be a seizure. My little chi has these sometimes .

Thank you. I have no contact with the breeder. She is a rescue pup. I do know the breeder wasn't good though because he didn't look after the mother properly. I believe the mother and pups were removed from him. The mother was malnourished and rejected her 11 pups at 4 weeks. Our dog has thankfully been quite healthy (cancer aside) but I do think it has had a psychological impact, contributing to her nervous nature.
A video is a good idea. I will keep my phone nearby and monitor her overnight.

It could be a seizure. My little chi has these sometimes .
Oh no, poor wee thing! I am keeping an eye. I am most afraid that her cancer has returned where we can't see it and having an impact.

It's normal to worry (and a good thing in that it shows you care) but sometimes seizures are one-off events and may never recur, hopefully your vet can reassure you in the morning.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back