The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Self checkouts at supermarkets.

excuseme

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I am certainly not in favour of our modern "self checkouts" in the supermarkets and do not use them!.
The normal checkout girls wages are included in the price of the goods that we purchase, yet we do not get paid and receive NO reduction for doing it ourselves. This does not seem fair !
This looks like another way of taking jobs away from quiet a lot of people!

I do get what you are saying, but I use the 'scan as you go' checkouts to save time - otherwise it's a case of load the trolley, unload it on to the conveyer belt, then re-pack the items into bags.

With scan as you go, the items go straight into the bag and that's it.

Technology has been 'taking jobs away from people' since the start of the Industrial Revolution. Or much sooner, when the printing press saved scribes from having to write every copy of a book individually. Now, if those cashiers could be employed in the NHS... Though the former cashiers do still have their work cut out approving medicines, cigarettes and alcohol, and helping people whose cards are playing up, or who get something wrong!

I like self-service checkouts and use them when they're available. But it would be a shame if people didn't have the choice. I live in a small suburb with a small M&S foodhall, so I get to know the staff, and it's nice to greet them and have a quick chat. And for some people, the cashier might be the only person they talk to that day.

I never use them. If that's all that is available, I shop elsewhere. Not only for the employment matter but because it's more convenient for me.

I use them when they suit me and because I like to keep up to date before Im left behind in the dark.

But what we have seen in the Netherlands is the introuduction of the kletskassa or chatty till ( dont go there unless you have time) the cashier there is specially instructed to chat to and be friendly with the customers sometimes its turns into a group chate and you can be there for ages!

That's rather nice - so many people are so socially isolated that they never get to have a friendly chat with anyone.

Me - I like to get the transaction through swiftly but am always pleasant to the cashier. If they want a little exchange of chat I'm happy to co-operate.

In our local shops it's easy to get stuck behind some old person having a good natter with the person serving them - I have to remind myself that this is all part of community. And the greengrocer can natter on for hours when I just wanted to buy my veg and go! The lovely part is that in the smaller shops, if you realise you've left your purse at home, they'll just tell you to drop the money in next time you pass. The pet shop was very handy if I realised I'd come out without poo bags - and not only would she 'lend' you a tick remover, she'd help get the tick out!

If I wanted to use a checkout machine I'd apply for a job as a till operator.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back