The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Selling/rehoming puppies

Caerfi

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi! I'm looking into having my retriever bred as her third season is coming up and she's not had any litters yet. I know some people who want to buy them off us once they're ready, and was wondering if this counts as income and if it's something I should worry about? I'm sure someone here must've done similar - what are your experiences?

Last edited:
Firstly why do you want to breed? Does your dog have outstanding bloodlines that the world needs? If not you might want to reconsider there are enough dogs without creating more. Plus have you done all the health checks needed to ensure that she is suitable? Have you got a male lined up and if so has he had all his health checks done and documented? Are you ready or have your buyers considered the extra costs should a c- section be needed?
Plus any income should be declared minus documented costs but you should consult an accountant about that.

Hi! I'm looking into having my retriever bred as her third season is coming up and she's not had any litters yet. I know some people who want to buy them off us once they're ready, and was wondering if this counts as income and if it's something I should worry about? I've had a poke around some tax websites like this one but I don't think thats the right train of thought. I'm sure someone here must've done similar - what are your experiences?

I'm not going to go into the ethics of breeding puppies but yes - you're breeding to make money and it will be potentially taxable. Whether tax is actually payable will depend on your personal financial situation.

I'd check up with the new laws that have come in on breeding dogs before you go ahead. I think they kicked in this October,you could end up falling fowl of the law if you sell puppies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back