The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Separating dogs

marlon80

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all, I need a bit of advice,

I have a dog already, recued him 8 years ago. I wanted to get another dog, we have loads of space and a huge garden as well as the time so no issues there.

I found a gorgeous border colie of 17 months, when I got to the farm (not a puppy farm) they had his brother as well and they came as a pair and told me that I had to take both, no previous mention of this but the poor things looked starved and as a dog lover, I decided to take both, again, we have enough space for them and they both get on with my dog fine.

Here is the problem, little dog (my guess the runt of the litter) is very timid, adorable and very sweet, loves playing with toys etc. His brother (bigger) is very over bearing, will growl at the little one when he tries to take a toy or fetch a ball. when I pet the little one, the big one comes running up and will try and take my attention away from the little one. I had left the big one inside and had a play with the little one and he loved it, loved the attention he got and was great at fetch and loved running after the ball. but he also get anxious when he is not with his brother. but does try to hide from him when his brother is near.
I am in half a mind to get his brother adopted as I think the little one will do so much better without him and te big one does not seem to care if I take the little one away from him, the little one will also still have my other dog as companion.
I know it can do real harm to separate bonded dogs but I really do think the little one is not able to live a full happy life with the big one always snarling at him. I will of course take them to training but I reckon it is already to late and little one will forever be wary of the big one.

Any ideas????

You could start by doing lots of things with them separately - I'll link an article on littermate syndrome, raising littermates is do-able but it's more work than just two dogs would be separately, and involves doing things with each individually.

If you see the shy dog coming out of his shell more and flourishing, that would be a good reason for rehome the other one.

They aren't bonded. Human families don't like everyone they live with either. And you have no idea if they were even from the same litter. Best for all (including you) is to find another home for one and keep the one you like most. From what you say, one is much more confident and will take a change of home more easily.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back