The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Separation Anxiety

CDoodle

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Any tips for helping with separation anxiety in 5 month old labradoodle? Specifically with me!

He’s actually fine if I go out and leave the house. But if he knows I’m in the house and can’t get to me he pines!

Even if I go upstairs, he’ll sit by the closed door to the hall and cry. The other day he even came into the bathroom with me and cried because he couldn’t see me with the shower curtain closed!

While I love that he loves me, it’s cant be healthy for him to be sooooo attached.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

It's great that he's fine when you go out....main mission accomplished! The rest of it sounds a bit more like fear-of-missing-out than real separation anxiety. I.e. he just wants to be near you and involved with whatever you're doing - which if you think about it is totally natural for a baby of any kind to want! Wanting attention and the security of being near you the whole time. Utterly normal. Mine was the same, whining when I popped upstairs, whining if she couldn't come into the bathroom with me etc. But she's got steadily more and more independent and secure being by herself as she's grown older and now (at 9 months) never whines when I leave the room or go somewhere else. She will still follow me sometimes, but if she's comfy or dozing she'll stay put happily. So hopefully yours will be the same. Hang in there! They get less and less annoying as time goes by :D

Sorry - I saw your post back at the start of December but forgot to reply:oops: I agree with @Michele83 that you don't have to worry. Not being allowed to be with you in the house is different to pining when you've gone out. Let him follow you when you can and eventually, he'll be less inclined to follow you, particularly if he's snoozing in a sunny spot. Knowing that he could follow you if he wanted to will make him more secure.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back